Fly Fusion Forums

Boat question

I don’t know if this is might be one of those things that is so dumb it’s brilliant, but here goes…

I have a jon boat with a regular height transom and I have a long leg outboard.  I was thinking of selling the outboard because I really didn’t want/need the prop sitting that far down.  On the other hand, the tiller of the outboard isn’t quite high enough for my tastes, as it kind of hits my leg when I try to change direction, and then it occurred to me - could I build an extension to raise my transom 4” – 5” out of plywood (I’m picturing kind of a U shaped sleeve) that slips down over the transom solving both problems at once?  I don’t want to damage my boat or loose my motor, but I’m thinking sheet aluminum doesn’t have that much strength on its own, and its usually just plywood reinforcing the transom anyway, isn’t it?  As long as the “bite” of the motor clamp is wide enough and as long I secure the extension to the boat it might work?  Thoughts?

I think it depends on the size and weight of the motor. I did something very similar on my 14 foot aluminum fishing boat. I had a 9.9hp two stoke with a long leg that ran too low in the water. I used a 2X6 piece of wood with 4 pieces of steel angle iron bolted to the 2X6. The transom extension slide nicely on top of the existing transom. The thickness of the transom was almost exactly the same as the thickness of the 2X6. My original plan was to bolt this extension to the transom but it fit tight and I used it for many years without bolts. This worked well with a small motor. I would be careful if you are doing something similar with a large motor.

I believe the term for the piece is called a Jack Plate.

I have seen many versions of this from scrappy to very professional.

Contact a few welders and get some ideas. Probably $500 to $800 ish.

I have used Automarine for many years and highly recommend this shop and people..

I can't speak personally of the shop but heard good things about the guy in Carseland..

• Like 1

You are correct it is called a jackplate and is one way to lift your motor to the desired height...... the other way is to built up your transom but this is best done by welding  a sleeve over the transom if it is a motor larger than a 10hp I have one this with a couple of johns over the years but they were 40 HP....... I think you would be okay with a little kicker ie 5 to 10hp as they do not weigh a lot and have less torque

• 1 month later...