Fly Fusion Forums

Missing flow rate data on Alberta Rivers app/website

Is it just me, or is the flow rate data for basically every river missing from the AB Rivers app and website right now? I asked someone at AEP today and they said a gauge was broken, but I think they meant on the Athabasca up at Ft. Mac.

Just wondering if I'm having amazing levels of user error, or if the data isn't showing up yet. Trying to watch for when those flows start to come down...

Flows are just from a calculation using water level, from what i understand, so any missing flows are likely a software issue if they're still reading water levels. I noticed that the Elbow one randomly turned on last week, so wouldnt surprise me if they need someone manually to hit a 'export flows'

7 hours ago, dwday said:

The flow rates start showing on there around late April or early May. Every year seems different 

I’ve noticed the same, be patient, they’ll have the flow rates up soon. By next week at the latest

• Thanks 1

I’ve watched the technicians calabtprate the system by first measuring the profile on the stream, determine velocity and measuring the level. I would imagine there is some type of calculation applied. As the levels change, so does calculated flow rate.

However, and don’t you must love howevers.

1) this assumes stream contour remains the same. Over winter, depending on ice formation, stream contours may change.

2) the level device must be free to move. Ice impedes level device. As most of these stream flow samplers are located tight to the stream, ice would take som time to disappear.

Tbe takeaway, use the information as an ABOUT flow and not exact. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Good morning,

looking at the flows this morning, something doesn't seem right. Flows level from midnight to 8:00am this morning has dropped a dramatic 180 m3/s to 105 m3/s. I’ve never Witnessed such a large volume of a drop in a short period of time. Is this actually the case this morning? Or maybe a error on the software at the Alberta Rivers Flow charts App... and if so, wondering how the fish would be affected in a short time environment. 

25 minutes ago, porto said:

Good morning,

looking at the flows this morning, something doesn't seem right. Flows level from midnight to 8:00am this morning has dropped a dramatic 180 m3/s to 105 m3/s. I’ve never Witnessed such a large volume of a drop in a short period of time. Is this actually the case this morning? Or maybe a error on the software at the Alberta Rivers Flow charts App... and if so, wondering how the fish would be affected in a short time environment. 

You need to spend more time watching flows and  being annoyed at Transalta if this is the first time you've seen that on the Bow..

I can tell you right now, you would not want to be guiding on days like this. if the river has a 'shut-off' button, a drop of 80 m3/s is likely it.

• Like 2

Response from Transalta: my request for who at AEP asked for drop was ignored. 

Hello 

Thank you for your email, I am writing to provide some context surrounding the changes to river flows that occurred on the Bow River upstream of the Calgary Weir on the morning of August 6.

The flows in reference were the result of a request from Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) to assist in re-installing a safety boom upstream of Calgary Weir. The flows were decreased to ensure safe conditions for workers installing the safety boom, and were returned to normal (approx. 150 cms/hr) following completion of the project at approximately 1 p.m. on Thursday, August 6. The flows were reduced as per our operational standard of 15 cms/hr, beginning at 12 a.m. on August 6. 

We understand that the Bow River flows impact many individuals and organizations and we are working with AEP to ensure that AEP provides appropriate notices in the future to the public.”