Fly Fusion Forums

Covid 19 Ethics

On 4/17/2020 at 2:32 PM, jgib01 said:

OHV crowd are continuing to "lose their minds" over even the backed off plans... read the comments in the Minister's Facebook post on the matter @DevinDreeshen4AB. 

71% of wildfires caused by people, I think is what was said in the stat quoted in the video.  Maybe a total shutdown on the back country and forestry management areas is actually in order <cue barrage of assorted flying fruit and vegetables>

There’s still over 3 ft of snow in the back country, I don’t think fire risk is a real issue right now.

11 hours ago, matt1984 said:

There’s still over 3 ft of snow in the back country, I don’t think fire risk is a real issue right now.

So then why keep the fire ban but back off of OHVs? It’s 100% politics to allow them..

On 4/13/2020 at 5:54 PM, scel said:

I suggest that you think about it this way...

If you were to seriously get hurt and require emergency care, would you go to the same hospital if you suffered a similar injury at your home?

If the answer is 'no', then do not go. This disease can very quickly over-run a medical system.

If we stick to this path, I am cautiously optimistic that we could see a relaxation in the mitigation strategies in the next few weeks especially if local health care networks are not unnecessarily stressed.

Life is about probabilities though. In any given fishing trip, what are the chances you'd get into serious trouble requiring front line medical services of a smaller community?

I live in Edmonton. I don't have the luxury of going to the Bow, 10 to 30 minutes by foot, or 5 to 20 minutes by car. Fishing in April (given that 90% of water is closed) is a 3.5 to 12 hour round trip for flowing waters containing trout.

I've been doing this thought experiment myself for weeks. I go, got my food, extra jerry cans of gas, my porta-potty. I don't need to stop anywhere. Not once, not ever. I don't need to be around another person. I've been walking through crown land forest for 35+ years; I know my spots, I know my boundaries, I know my limits and I know how to stay away from people. Chances of even seeing another angler is less than 20%. Chance of me violating social distance at 25 feet, let alone 6, is zero percent.

GoA limiting PP or PRA access isn't an issue where I fish either.

The only thing left is...what if?

As Scel says...what if I were to get into trouble and require medical attention? The chances are even less now, because (a) highways are less crowded, less traffic, and (b) I can specifically choose a spot with an easy, level hike and within 800m of a major highway. No bushwacking, grunting and sweating required. 

I have mitigated all the risk I possibly can...and I can't go?

And the answer is...I haven't made up my mind yet! lol 

Here in Montana and the Gallatin river in particular, every access point has vehicles, some with mid summer numbers. I get my wife to drop me and my pontoon off and then pick me up. We live a short distance from the river. I've never in 18 years of living here seen so many people spread over the entire length of the stretch's I fish. I have to admit its great to see people and families out but the crowds at the access points totally defeat the positives. The upper Madison I believe is shut down to guide trips but I can't confirm that or how busy it is over there. Not sure how busy the Stone is either. 

I have never been passed by a game warden with my feet in the water and a flyrod in hand. At least six times in the past month.

• Like 1