Fly Fusion Forums

Redington Hydrogen trout spey 4wt 11-6

I recently won a trout spey rod in a raffle (Redington Hydrogen trout spey 4wt 11-6). I don't know much about it so Im asking if anyone has any info on the appropriate shooting heads and tips to match it. I like to swing big streamers off the bottom and throw indicator rigs and swing the odd soft hackle. I understand the 2 kinds of line (Skagit and Skandi) but am wondering if anyone knows first hand what brands and weights cast best, before I invest a bunch of money in it. I would like to have the versatility of being able to switch between a skagit and scandi shooting head so Im not really interested in a Integrated trout spey line.  

I have been using the same  Hydrogen rod since the fall.  I previously used a Amundson ww  3/4 for 4years.  Both rods were primarily fishing the bow river.

I am using integrated lines,  a 240 gr Spey lite skagit from SA.  and a 240 gr airflo switch float.  I really like the airflo for indicators, line mending is pretty good.

I find that the SA skagit is a bit overweighted for the line, but this is a very personal matter,  and if you are just starting the spey game, overweighting is probably good.  I am using versa tips for both the soft hackle and the smallish streamers.  However I fish 70 * 80 %  with the bobber.

I am very impressed with the Hydrogen, handles fish well, nice feel. mends line well, good backbone for me.  A little whippy with the skagit line, but it does throw it a long way out there.

Have fun with this.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I fish a Redington Hydrogen single-hand 3W at 10', specifically made for Euro-style nymphing, super strong butt, and very forgiving near the tip. It's really light. The best part is, one can still single-hand switch/Spey with the exact same rod, however 'wiggly' it might be upon roll/single Spey casting. Thanks to Iron Bow for this!B)

I contacted OPST about my options. They recommended a Skagit 180grain Smooth with an 80grain sink tip and I'm happy as a clam. Easily sending line across to 40-50' but a light enough running line/head to switch leaders and do Euro-style. 

-M.