Fly Fusion Forums

Thought I would start a place to talk gardening. We started our normal seeds a week ago. Multiple varieties of tomatoes, Peppers, Beans, Squash and Cucumbers. Elephant garlic in the dish starting.

Want to order a couple of varieties of Haskap berries this year and need to find some Horseradish root as a starter. Anyone else out there have your seed starters going. Good year for a victory garden. We usually produce veggies for most of the year for the freezer.

LKa3mfZ.jpg

Peppers do take a lot more time to germinate than most other seeds. Mine took 9 days. To speed the process, place the seeds between damp sheets of a paper towel, than place in zippered plastic bag, put the bag in a warm place the top of the refrigerator works  As soon as the pepper seeds sprout, carefully plant them in individual containers. Our varieties are Sweet Marconi Rosso and Calafonia Wonder. Alot of my veggie seeds come form last years crop.

Last week my wife decided to take over the bar downstairs to start her planting. Garage too cold and workshop full of renovation supplies to keep me busy during the pandemic. I guess I'll just have to suck it up but if she encroaches on my fly tying area, I will have to put my foot down!

Here is my grow op. Bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and asparagus 

oops, the pictures are upside down.  The tomatoes are about 10” tall.

E6E80D00-94F7-4BF4-A0D6-29CF062AFB02.jpeg

4BB36F13-377C-4808-8F20-D5B26EE7714F.jpeg

A884F357-C466-477C-9BF6-6C4E1DB3195A.jpeg

Edited by murray
Removed inverteted pictures, tried to reload edited pictures but couldn’t
  • Like 1

If you need horseradish roots and are up near St Albert anytime let me know. We bought this house a few years ago and the previous owner was a fanatical gardener. In fact we had to sod over half the garden as it was too much for us to manage. Last fall my neighbor showed up with a shovel and proceeded to dig up a broad leaf plant that he said was horseradish and two hours later he delivered a couple of jars. I do like horseradish and his is ok however I still prefer the KEG branded horseradish which you can now buy at Costco. Oh and don't get me going on the apple and crabapple trees which are prodigious producers in the fall. I can only eat so many pies and crumbles....sk

Did not put garden in last year...too busy ..paying for it this spring as beds are out of control!

Soon as things thaw I’ll sort the beds ...hopefully knock down the high ph w some ash I’ve saved up ?

Basics, spuds carrots , corn peas lettuce herbs etc..

Anyone ever grown peanuts ? I remember as a kid my folks had them growing.

Ive got this neat stretch up the shady side of our drive, gives wild asparagus, morel mushrooms, strawberry’s gooseberry and raspberries.