Fly Fusion Forums

Old Guide

Cortland braided clear monofilament is what I used, bought it years ago when I guided and needed to work on clients lines. Usually for 6 wt up to Spey lines. For lighter setups I have used heavy mono in 20lb nail knotted to the fly line then tye in a short Perfection Loop.

Since than I have switched to welding my own loops in the fly line. Find it more efficient and fail proof.

Hay Jay,

you could certainly buy a fancy heat gun and I have used an old heat gun of mine that I used to strip paint works well. But… I like to use an ordinary tea candle. I find I can control it easier. You do need one other thing for this and that’s some narrow light clear shrink wrap tubing a bit wider than your fly line.

This method is great for all coated fly lines and gives strong, small and neat loops, which will glide noiseless through the guides. Here’s a step by step, if you have an old line you can use it to experiment with. It does take a bit of patience and practice but not hard to do.

1.     Cut a piece of tubing approximately about 2 to 3 inches long. Pass the fly line through the shrink tubing so a few inches protrude out the other end.

2.     Loop your fly line and pass it back through the tubing you should end up with 1/2 inch from the end of the shrink tubing. Adjust the loop size to your liking

3.     Slowly apply heat to the shrink tube with the side of a candle. Heat the line in short intervals and gently. The coating of the fly line will melt together. Only heat the shrink wrap tubing not the fly line protruding.  Repeat this slowly until all the fly line connection is smoothly merged and melted together with no gaps between the two lines, take your time and work at it. I like to roll the melted line between my fingers a bit when it is still warm. careful not to burn yourself.

4.     When the coating of the fly line cools a bit, you can remove the shrink tube carefully. The shrink tube is best removed while it is still a little warm. I use a fine pair of scissors and cut from the loop down.

5.     Don't apply too much heat or you will burn the line. If the line burns or browns clip it off and start again.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Started using this method a years back. Never had one fail, just like factory made loops.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SilverDoctor said:

Hay Jay,

you could certainly buy a fancy heat gun and I have used an old heat gun of mine that I used to strip paint works well. But… I like to use an ordinary tea candle. I find I can control it easier. You do need one other thing for this and that’s some narrow light clear shrink wrap tubing a bit wider than your fly line.

This method is great for all coated fly lines and gives strong, small and neat loops, which will glide noiseless through the guides. Here’s a step by step, if you have an old line you can use it to experiment with. It does take a bit of patience and practice but not hard to do.

1.     Cut a piece of tubing approximately about 2 to 3 inches long. Pass the fly line through the shrink tubing so a few inches protrude out the other end.

2.     Loop your fly line and pass it back through the tubing you should end up with 1/2 inch from the end of the shrink tubing. Adjust the loop size to your liking

3.     Slowly apply heat to the shrink tube with the side of a candle. Heat the line in short intervals and gently. The coating of the fly line will melt together. Only heat the shrink wrap tubing not the fly line protruding.  Repeat this slowly until all the fly line connection is smoothly merged and melted together with no gaps between the two lines, take your time and work at it. I like to roll the melted line between my fingers a bit when it is still warm. careful not to burn yourself.

4.     When the coating of the fly line cools a bit, you can remove the shrink tube carefully. The shrink tube is best removed while it is still a little warm. I use a fine pair of scissors and cut from the loop down.

5.     Don't apply too much heat or you will burn the line. If the line burns or browns clip it off and start again.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Started using this method a years back. Never had one fail, just like factory made loops.

You forgot to mention the size of shrink tube?1/8 I believe?I bought mine at greggs distributors

2 hours ago, SilverDoctor said:

Hay Jay,

awesome, thank you Sir.  Where do I source out the shrink wrap?

4 hours ago, Jayhad said:

awesome, thank you Sir.  Where do I source out the shrink wrap?

I originally picked mine up at a Radio Shack type store years ago that was across from PM Hobby next door to Redhart Shoes. Don't think its there any more. Seems to me I looked for it when I was driving by and didn't see it. But you need to look for thin wall transparent Electronic tubing. Transparent so you can see it happen and not burn it, thin walled so you can easily cut it. . It came in 4 ft lengths and I believe it is by 3M.

• Like 1