Fly Fusion Forums

Isolation..............

Well gosh, with being in that target age (70) and now cocooning at home. I was working I need to adapt to this new life reality guess I'm retired now. Shock to the system. Shopping for necessities occasionally. Time to do things. It is nice having the internet but I'm tying a bit (most of my winter orders are done) mostly now for buddies and new fun ties to experiment with. I started doing some art with a bit of watercolor, good for the soul. Digging around and found my old iPod. Forgot how nice it was just listening to music, like an old friend. I did it a lot more listening in my younger days. All my old playlists are on it so its cool. Things I should also do around the house.

How is everyone out there coping? The community has been quiet lately. Let's use this as an opportunity to post how you are doing, what you fill your days with your fears or not. Heres hoping we all of us come out the other side OK. Wash them hands and keep well from Ol' Doc

Have been in self isolation for about a week now and have completed many projects that were needing to be done. Organized my fly boxes, inventoried my rods and reels, organized all my tippets spools (where did i get all of this tippet form?), and binge watching breaking bad. Taken a few drives to get out but the weather has only been so so as of late. Lornce, thanks for the flies, they all look great and i look forward to trying them out. Hopefully the weather will warm and a guy can get out on the river soon. Maybe try to learn the spey fishing and take you up on your offer Doc!

Be well everyone, stay healthy and be positive! We will get through this!

Cheers

• Like 1

I have been semi retired for a number of years now so I’m use to the down time in the winter. Up to date on fly tying so it is fun experimenting with some Pike patterns. I like to go for walks each day ( weather permitting) at one of the many parks in and around the Calgary area. There have been many wonderful photography opportunities with a lot less people out and about. Now I want to make a camera upgrade, again. Better think on that for a while. 

Travel Safely

23 hours ago, DonAndersen said:

SD,

Left knee replaced in March 17.

Can’t go drive for 6 weeks.

already going stir crazy.

Don

Good luck with that new knee, Don! I expect that once it is 100% that boat of your will go in circles!!

I work from home at 80% of the time anyway so my days are not that different. Wife and I haven't left the house hardly in 11 days 'cept to walk the dog around the block ( she, the dog, is recovering from knee surgery) I did get out ice fishing last Saturday and prob again this Saturday ( direct trip no stops). I have been trying to land a Tiger trout at a lake north of Athabasca for 3 years now but all I get are rainbows including some decent sizes. Also got me an underwater camera which is a game changer. Not only does it alleviate the boredom of ice fishing it is really interesting to watch the trout behavior when they do come in for a look see. Might have to drop it into one of those sweet Bow river holes to see what is going on someday. And as a PSA especially for urbanites...do not wait until you have symptoms to self isolate, then it is too late for all those you may have engaged with prior to your self diagnosis. Let's all shut down hard ( excepting essential services) for the next few weeks to negate the communicable capability of this thing so that we can not only save lives of people you will never meet but also allow our health care workers to catch up while they risk their own health to save others. This is not a drill and will be a major point of human history forever.

• Like 2

Lornce, I wish you a speedy recovery from your knee surgery. 
   Like all the posters so far, (who is going to post non-compliance anyway?), international travel postponed, skiing gone for *hit, we are hunkered down prudently abiding healthy practices. We forage some grocery stores for necessities and make our monthly trip to Costco for a big shop. We are reading, chatting, eating and drinking well, watching the idiot-box, having video calls with offspring in far away places, ordering a few things online for a summer we hope to be able to make the most of and we watch for signs that the curve will flatten, fervent with hope. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a child of the 70's, so not quite as wise as some in this thread, but I am very much at risk, dealing with both COPD and Asthma.

Tying my brains out, and attempting some tough patterns, including mini Intruders, 18-20 BWO and the mighty Adams. Might post a few in the 'What are you tying 2020' thread. 

Also, cleaning house after a big move last summer. Try and get out at least 2wice a week, but sometimes it's nicer to stay home with a Fly Fusion magazine and some homemade beer. :clap:

Be cool, everyone. Let's keep it going, and hope that the fish are getting a bit of a break.

-M.

• Like 1