Fly Fusion Forums

Alberta "optimizing" parks

such a joke. We can have the loud OHV crowd kill a park through consultation, yet when the UCP decide to remove parks from the system they dont need to do boo? I would be more worried about this part: " Sites removed from the parks system would have their legal park designations removed, and could be open for alternate management approaches. "

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bcubed said:

" Sites removed from the parks system would have their legal park designations removed, and could be open for alternate management approaches. "

This is the most concerning statement for sure! Who determines the Alternate Management Approaches? Maybe the Nature Conservancy, Southern Alberta Land Trust,  Western Sky Land Trust and others are in a place to jump on this as an opportunity to add to their funding models... ?

No need for public consultation according to Nixon because they clearly ran on a platform of “modernizing” the parks system... and we all know that “modernizing” means closing down a quarter of the parks in the Province.  At least it will save five million bucks though!  That’s enough dough to keep the war room stealing copyrighted logos and insulting people on twitter for 8 whole weeks!

• Like 2

Seems like the ucp likes to attack anything that is good for the public. 
health care, education and now recreation. What’s next on the chopping block? 

it will be a real shame if the campgrounds like racehorse, Dutch, upper oldman and livingstone falls are shut down and deadbolted. 

I'm not surprised - campng is a non-essential service. When you see the cuts taking place within other departments, Alberta Parks was in line for the bullet. 

Will we see the planned $2 million road upgrade at McKinnon's Flats this fall abandoned? I have asked AEP that question. no answer yet!

On 3/4/2020 at 10:28 AM, fishteck said:

I'm not surprised - campng is a non-essential service. When you see the cuts taking place within other departments, Alberta Parks was in line for the bullet. 

Will we see the planned $2 million road upgrade at McKinnon's Flats this fall abandoned? I have asked AEP that question. no answer yet!

Given that many corp executives are fly fisherman I could see this one continues due to a little prodding from certain users.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 7:14 AM, DonAndersen said:

For whatever it’s worth.

$4,500,000,000 giveaway at 5% = $225,000,000 in interest 

campground closing = $5,000,000

Don

i'm sure the province can borrow at a much lower rate but interest would still far exceed the $5,000,000 savings on park closures.

know what else far exceeds those savings? the alberta war room at $30 million a year. each and every year for 4 years. yeah yeah the budget was cut yesterday but only temporarily. that has to be the BIGGEST WASTE OF PUBLIC FUNDS EVER. even worse than when klein handed out cheques to every person 16 and older - twice.

• Like 1

I sent a letter to the (dis)Honorable Jason Nixon and got the standard form letter back that says nothing, in fact a friend got exactly the same letter the only change being the my name. Just full of political double talk and it is absolutely clear that those boneheads in charge at the Legislature have no work-life balance and that anything that isn't profitable is on the chopping block. Heaven help us all.

I sent my views to my MLA as well as the minister for Alberta Parks through the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. A great organization with a strong voice. Hopefully someone in government will listen and see the dreadful impact this proposal will have on our public lands. 

Travel Safely