Fly Fusion Forums

Ice Work

Watch your footing, everyone! Been fishing a lot with these warm Chinook temps..

Saw a big A$$ iceberg almost crush a couple dudes...luckily they got out of the water.

Look upstream every once in a while, folks..maybe you'll see a huge one!

-M.

PS- please stop doing 'Grip & Grin' shots in Wintertime...sigh..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I was going stir crazy earlier in the week, and went fishing in thigh-deep water, with a fairly good current below a small drop in elevation. During the Spring, I always try to look upstream/behind me after every cast or two looking for ice. This day was no different.

I felt a small bump on my thigh, watched a small berg turn past me, and thought nothing of it. Did one more cast, and BAM I was in, with only my rod arm and my head above water. :eek:

The berg was maybe 5' x 2' and about 8" thick, so not super big...but I lost my footing right now. Luckily I was only 15' from shore, 200' from the car and 5mins from home, because I was swamped. It was freaky because it happened so fast, and the ice that hit me was completely clear, so almost impossible to see. Yikes!  

Be safe everyone!

-M.