Fly Fusion Forums

Artifishal

I had a chance to preview the release of the film with a group in Calgary.  The audience was predominantly Calgarians with outdoor interests. I was surprised at the overreaction of the group. The consensus appeared to be that fish farming should be banned and they were prepared to to pay for "wild" trout. Unfortunately, there is not enough wild trout in the world to meet demand. And most importantly how to guarantee you are buying wild salmon without paying $50-100 a slab.

The other point I got out of the film was the cost of operating fish recruitment programs through government hatcheries. Its an enormous cost to society. Therefore, should angling licenses be far higher to cover the cost of replenishing a recreational fish stock? We could be facing the same debate in Alberta with the recent AEP announcement of millions being put into fish hatcheries! Should there be a $10 to 20 tag to catch and kill trout in Alberta?

Therefore my take on the film is, sure there are risks with salmon farming and hatchery programs, but the human race needs a commercial cost efficient food source and salmon farming does that. The commercial fish farming industry is moving towards inland contained lake and reservoir operations if regulations can be met. More like salmon ranching.