Fly Fusion Forums

CAN SMARTPHONES KILL TROUT?

Can Smartphones Kill Trout?

A group of Alberta researchers believe so!

" We investigated the potential post-release mortality of memorable sized (average length of 60 cm) bull trout after simulating prolonged handling (involving photographing and
measuring) and immediate release in a controlled angling study at a remote Albertan lake during summer."

"We found that handling time and air exposure of large bull trout subjected to photography and measurement was long (112 s) and associated post-release mortality was high

(10 dead / 30 fish; 33 % after 24 h observation). Immediate release mortality was also high (3 dead / 20 fish; 15 %)".

"These levels of mortality, combined with
high angler effort, can potentially lead to population-scale declines at C&R fisheries"

The full report can be found at the following link: https://drive.google.com/…/11f_xljGPkdqKSiUEKvE-6eOgb…/view…

Although this is a relative small study it adds to a wide belief that anglers have little regard for fish survival when there is an opportunity to record a photo, that may have no interest to other anglers within a short period of time..

Perhaps the biggest message here is that just taking a photo will override any benefits for Catch-and-Release techniques!

This is another example of where a love for trout fishing has gone off the rails! Recording the event will photos has consequences. Just how many photo do we need see?

Selfie trout image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I agree! I think there needs to be more awareness on catch and release coming from Alberta conservation. Lots of people release fish but to them it means exactly that (just throwing the fish back). They just don’t know that holding a fish up right by the gill plate and out of the water for 3 minutes will more than likely kill the fish. Most anglers are guilty of this, myself included but it’s time for a change, how many pictures do you need. 

https://www.sweetwaternow.com/opinion-fly-fishing-brand-ambassadors-social-media-what-might-they-be-doing-to-your-fishery/

When these people are getting paid, or trying to be noticed to get that sweet "pro deal," The temptation to poach can become too much. Ethics go out the window (how long are these fish out of the water to get the perfect shot?).  

I saw this one instagram account of a guy near Calgary that was catching huge cutthroat from certain mountain streams. I have been to some of those streams, and the trout that big hang out in the bottom of these deep pools. How does a fly get down that deep that quick? Maybe I'm just bad, but its hard to get down more than 6-10 feet in a drift for me. Yet this guy must've done it a few time to catch all those big trout. Was he bait fishing and then posing with a fly rod? I don't know, but I was pretty skeptical of that account.