Fly Fusion Forums

What are you tying 2020

ggp

• 3 weeks later...

Mayfly Genus Baetis (Blue-Winged Olives) hatch throughout the year, in the spring and fall thy do tend to be smaller than in the early spring and fall. There are in fact dozens of different types in our province.  I have often chased pods of Rainbows and browns during these hatch cycles. You also have to look at stages of nymphs that are pre-emergers for a complete cross section in your box. Often anglers look for that one magic fly that works all year instead of looking at what is on the water at different times of year and differnt nymphal stages(an insect screen can be your best friend to determine size and color). Here are a few that work for me throughout the year. Some are original others specific to well know patterns. I tend to bend my patterns to what I see on the water.

Red Headed Step Child mentioned here in #16 and #18

OHfXouS.jpg

My Doc's BWO (personal favorite) in Size #20

ebKsQrQ.jpg

Suspended BWO Nymph #18 - #20. The large tail is pre-shuck

E9X1HoL.jpg

Bars Emerger is a good one fished in a Leisenring Lift manner. Tie it in Green and brown.

FSbezdv.jpg

Doc's Gilled Baetis Nymph

sWtixS3.jpg

Hope this helps a bit in chasing the BWO hatches. keep up your social distancing and keep safe and may wee all meet at some time on sparkling waters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tying a bunch if my favorite today - "light" Elk Hair Caddis. I leave out the wire and simply wrap the hackle over the dubbing. With size 10, 12, 14, i find the hackle is plenty strong on its own and I've don't think it has ever come apart on me. As a result you get the same sectioned body look and no wire to add weight. I usually tie this with 3/0 thread so I can really synch down on the thick elk bull body hair and get lots of flare. I find this version very good at staying up in all water types and It stays afloat nicely with a size 16 or 18 dropper as well. 

20200510-173604.jpg20200510-173626.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...