Fly Fusion Forums

Alberta fisheries public engagement meetings

I went to the Alberta Fisheries Public Engagement Meeting in St. Albert last night, and I have to say it was well done all around. I was thinking it was going to be a “torch and pitchfork thing”, but the the format turned out to be be excellent. There was multiple booths with subject matter experts at each one talking on one specific topic. Topics ranging from the decline of the Bow River, whirling disease, the Pembina Grayling program, and bull trout populations. There was also lots about stocking both trout and prairie species, tags systems, and current licensing. 
Each booth had lots of information about the topic it was presenting and literature to take away. This was good but what I really liked was each one were taking suggestions for solutions of problems our fisheries currently have. 

Was anyone else there? What did you think? 

• Like 1

Most anglers I have spoken to who were at the Calgary forum have the same opinions as you have expressed. It is also important that AEP were also impressed with the turnout at 150 to 200 at each of the major population centres. A lot of effort was put into this engagement forum by all involved. We had our opportunity to express our opinions on all the subject listed and now we will see what comes out of the discussions. I for one believe we will see change in regulations to protect wild trout populations in the four foothill zones. Not just cutthroat and bull trout. What changes are made this year is difficult to determine, but change will take place over the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Am sorry I missed the session here in Lethbridge.  Unfortunately I had another commitment and was out of town.  A buddy went, and his impressions were similar to the above.  I did the survey, and suspected there would be a much heavier emphasis on the survey topics, but it sounds like it was a great effort to cover lots of other things as well.