Fly Fusion Forums

Fishery Management Meetings in January

fishteck

Two events you should not miss in January:

Calgary Fish & Game Association's Alberta Government Fish Management seminar  at the Cardel Theatre in Calgary on January 15, 2019. The State of the Bow River fishery will be presented by AEP Fishery biologists and Fish & Wildlife Enforcement Branch
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/alberta-government-fisheries-presentation-tickets-87049877527

Alberta Environment & Parks Fisheries Management Engagement Forum at Bow Habitat Station on January 21, 2019. You will have the opportunity to engage with fishery management staff on what you believe are important to sustain local recreational fisheries.
https://talkaep.alberta.ca/aep-fisheries-management

PG 11-2.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a copy of a note I wrote to a

I suspect these meetings  are more than hot air. 
There has been a movement headed by a retired Alberta biologist and past Fish and Game Assoc.  Provincial President to increase the kill fishery at several lakes in the NE part of Alberta. He has solicited   support from many including Municipal Govts, Chambers Of Commerce and the like. 
The splatter effect has already been felt in Rocky by the Govt legitimizing illegal perch stocking at Struble Lake SW of Rocky. This allows fishermen to keep perch now. This seemed to be a sop to illegal stockers and will encourage more illegal stocking. 
Further, there was a lot of whining and yodelling when Dolberg Lakes were changed. The Barrhead newspaper attempted to sway public sentiment by publishing strange statements. 
One has to recall the incredible effort it takes to return to some decent fishing and for the anglers to risk jumping back to the past seems way past silly.
With the change of Govt. I have no idea what to expect. 

I guess, doing nothing risks it all,

Don
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1