Fly Fusion Forums

What an embarrassment Alberta

Just got this from a friend fishing in South America.

It was quite the trip from El Calafate! The photos don’t do it justice. Vast expanses of Patagonia emptiness and “lumpy” barely describes it. Immediately upon arrival our waders and boots were disinfected and then it was time to string up rods and fish!

Are we not yet embarrassed that we don’t require visiting  or returning anglers to clean their gear 

and the best part, please find me a guide or guiding  service who  asked their clients not to drag their diseased stuff into A,berta,  

we deserve what we got. 

respect the resource,, nope we crap on it.

Don

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bowbonehead said:

I suspect you refer to whirling disease that likely arrived from the Sam Livingston back in the eighties via Johnson lake...... myself I always take new boots and waders on any foreign trip

WD, Asian Carp, Zebra mussels are now just over the Sask border, exotic fish stocked everywhere. The list of lack of action could go on for pages.

when in the he’ll are we gonna off our butts are really deal with what is killing our fisheries.

Don

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, DonAndersen said:

When in the he’ll are we gonna off our butts are really deal with what is killing our fisheries.

Don

Did you vote UCP..? Considering how few of the boat inspection stations were running this year, the pretty much wholesale clearance of any and all temp staff (say, the temp CO staff) whose terms were up this fall, its only going to get worse..

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, bcubed said:

Did you vote UCP..? Considering how few of the boat inspection stations were running this year, the pretty much wholesale clearance of any and all temp staff (say, the temp CO staff) whose terms were up this fall, its only going to get worse..

The mind set of NOT dealing with fisheries issue goes much further back in time  that tbe UPC. 
If anglers, commercial angling operations really gave a *hit, they would force the Govt to change.

Don

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 7:57 AM, DonAndersen said:

The mind set of NOT dealing with fisheries issue goes much further back in time  that tbe UPC. 
If anglers, commercial angling operations really gave a *hit, they would force the Govt to change.

Don

Your right, it also goes back to 40 years of PC rule. So what are you actually proposing to do, rather then ranting on the internet?

• Like 1

Bcubed,

what would/should be done?

1) no equipment allowed into Canada from infested areas.

2) no equipment allowed across provincial borders from infested areas.

3) commercial ag,ing operation found not cleaning clients gears fined <$ 100,000.

4) add to prohibited fish list that must not be imported into Alberta, increase fines for importers. Several years ago the list in Alberta was one fish long whereas other provinces had 80>100 on the list.

5) educated the public to keep from stocking exotics like goldfish.

The list could go on forever but what is the point. Who cares?

Don

• Like 1

Don:

Your focus here is far too limited. Fish populations world wide are diminishing at the same rate as angling pressure goes up. It does not matter if the pressure comes from commercial or recreational anglers, the objective of just about everyone is to catch more fish. Its not to protect endangered fish populations, reduce (not eliminate) invasive species and diseases. And god help us, never suggest that anglers have any sort of impact on fish stocks.

I do not see and government regardless of their political stripes taking on some of the bigger  issues to eliminate transfer of invasive disease and species across watersheds:

• Will they stop movement of cattle across watersheds. No.
  • Stop off road vehicle use. Especially oil and logging service vehicles. No.
  • Stop hiking and hunting  in the back country where fish populations are at risk. No.

So whats left? The recreational angler who decides to take it upon him- or herself  and aid in the protection of our fisheries by themselves. This is a loosing battle! Whirling Disease is here to stay. Dog sniffers at the border will not catch all Zebra Mussel transfer to out watersheds. Possibly the only option is to keep replenishing wild trout population where angling pressure is high.

• Like 2

One of the biggest embarassments for me.Is there lack luster attack,on areas that .Have been identified as having Prussian Carp,in there water impoundments.Ie City of Calgary,Harvest Hills storm water ponds,Airdrie Nose creek & on & on .Just about every watershed south of Calgary,that gets there water from the Bow river watershed.

4 hours ago, BrianR said:

One of the biggest embarassments for me.Is there lack luster attack,on areas that .Have been identified as having Prussian Carp,in there water impoundments.Ie City of Calgary,Harvest Hills storm water ponds,Airdrie Nose creek & on & on .Just about every watershed south of Calgary,that gets there water from the Bow river watershed.

BrianR, is there a process for eradicating carp? I would assume poisoning? 

Jayhad:

Stop hiking and hunting  in the back country where fish populations are at risk. No.

The justification for this statement is based on the all encompassing guidelines released under GOA directives. All government agencies are expected to sanitize equipment when moving across watersheds. Contractors are to my knowledge expected to do the same when working in or close to watersheds. And anglers and watercraft users are expected to do the same. Hikers and hunters cross water bodies on their travels in the back country, therefore why should they be exempt from following the same guidelines. If it was believed that restricting access to the back country would reduce to probability of invasive species and disease, I do not see any governments taking punitive action against back country users. The end result is that whatever policies are put in place to "save our fisheries" very few if any will contribute significantly in preventing an increase in their presence..

• Like 2

Been to many of these Bow Habitat .Was just a lecture on what they're going to do.Left no time for discussion ,on possible resolves.Also was part of Rnd.Tbl.MTGS for4 yrs spring/fall mtgs..Got to be just a waste of my time & expense to go to Edmonton .To hear what they're going to do.They abrutly shut things down.

22 hours ago, Jayhad said:

Hmm, good argument, I never thought of this. Thanks.

If you think that's going to happen.....

Is there any evidence that hikers are transferring stuff between water bodies or is this just some theory?  Animals wander all over the place as well.

20 hours ago, yonderin said:

If you think that's going to happen.....

Is there any evidence that hikers are transferring stuff between water bodies or is this just some theory?  Animals wander all over the place as well.

Yonderin, everyone knows only recreational users transfer problem organisms