Fly Fusion Forums

Cowichan river Christmas fishing

I’m going to be on the island for Christmas visiting my in-laws....  it it’s not all bad, I’m going a few days early and plan on fishing the cowichan a few days before my wife shows up. I’ll be bringing my inflatable or possibly my hard boat, and hope to get into some stealies conditions permitting or some of the browns and bows there. I’ve only ever fished it one other time in the summer and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Better yet if your in the area Dec 21 to the 24 message me and we could buddy up. Even if you don’t have any clue whats going on there it’d be nice to have a partner for floating the river 

I was born and raised in Duncan, and fished the Cow growing up before heading out to Calgary along time ago. There are some good runs above Skutz Falls (make sure you have a map as the Falls are wicked and you would have to get out before then. There is a nice run from Lake Cowichan to Skutz that has lots of nice runs but you really need a boat as access is little to none. Below Skutz there are lots of areas where you can do some walk and wading, or float. Be aware of high water as the river can be dangerous at that time. I did a float a couple years ago with Kenzies Fishing out of Cowichan Lake and we floated the section above Skutz and did quite well. Lots of browns! You can also check with Buckys Sporting Goods in Duncan (if there still there). They would have tons of advice for the Cow for you as well. Be ready to fish in the rain, and be wintered up as it can be cold, especially when floating. 

Say hi to one of my favorite rivers for me while you are there, it is a great place to spend time on the water!

Cheers

• Like 2