Fly Fusion Forums

A reminder to check all gear before you start casting

WayneM

Fished lake newal today. On my second cast using a modified clouser minnow, I hooked up with a 30” pike.tough fight on my 6 weight but I got him.i don’t usualy net any fish I catch, preferring to never take from the water durring release. But I found a 5 of diamonds lure stuck in him up near his dorsal fin.i removed it and released him, wound wasn’t to bad so he should survive, it looked like it was a fresh wound. What I did find was rusted out hooks and connections rings.the ring to the leader had broken.pls anyone fishing junk or fly check all gear for rust ect. Before fishing. If I hadn’t removed that hook I’m sure he would have died as the hooks hadn’t been debarred and newal is a catch and release trophy fishery.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WayneM said:

If I hadn’t removed that hook I’m sure he would have died as the hooks hadn’t been debarred and newal is a catch and release trophy fishery.

I was doing a fish salvage and found a pike that was alive and very healthy, and was entirely missing its tail fin. It had compensated by using more of its body to swim.. They're hardy as all hell..

11 hours ago, WayneM said:

I’ve had the fishing bug for years. I’ve just fallen in love with the more refined art of fly fishing. I’m a trader to the junk checker comunity Lol.

You will have to get something like a 14 wt. or so for those Dinos in the river now.