Fly Fusion Forums

Planing a trip to white swan for early summer

WayneM

Looking to camp/hike/fish around white swan lake bc, but wish to avoid crowds and over pressured waters. Anyone have suggestions as to where to drop my line around there? Going just after the creeks and river open up next spring/summer. Any suggestions on useful pattern for the time 3rd week of June would be loved I’ve never been there before. Thx all in advance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Whiteswan Lake is an awesome fishery. I know of the rivers surrounding them so i would make sure to check the regs on what might be open at that time of year and whether or not it might be classified such as the White River. There are a couple of campgrounds surrounding the lake such as Pak Rat, and Home Basin. There are many more up poast whiteswan that are great for river fishing, when allowed. Also recommend that you check to see if the water is still in run off, if going to fish it. I like Home Basin and area to camp. PM if you would like some more detail.

Cheers

• Like 1

I’ve fished Whiteswan a number of times. Nearly every day near noon the wind comes up from the west which translates to 2’+ waves in the east end severely limiting where you can fish. 
The west end is not nearly as effected. For that reason I camp  at Packrat. While there is road traffic by, it drops off in the evening. and overnight..  The flats at Packrat can readily accommodate a lot of boats with water depths from 2>20’. Chironomids, small leeches and pheasant tail nymphs  all have been successful in the past. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 6:07 PM, DonAndersen said:

I’ve fished Whiteswan a number of times. Nearly every day near noon the wind comes up from the west which translates to 2’+ waves in the east end severely limiting where you can fish. 
The west end is not nearly as effected. For that reason I camp  at Packrat. While there is road traffic by, it drops off in the evening. and overnight..  The flats at Packrat can readily accommodate a lot of boats with water depths from 2>20’. Chironomids, small leeches and pheasant tail nymphs  all have been successful in the past. 

Don

X2

I've fished Whiteswan a handful of times. Always stay at Home Basin. Much nicer campground and more dog walking opportunities - and no logging trucks.

Yes the east end gets windy. Had one of my best days in a light gale. Motored out to beyond the drop off, pitch out a pumpkin head on an intermediate sink tip, and a drift sock and go with the flow back well onto the shallow flat. A fish a drift for nearly two hours. 

I did motor down to the west end one day and did well in the trough.

Alces is a pretty little lake. Fish aren't huge but they sure know how to throw a hook. Often only land one in four. Not sure if they have fixed up the campground but it used to have very little shore access from the sites.

We'll be out there sometime in early June 2020.