Fly Fusion Forums

Hairs ear

WayneM

• 2 years later...
On 10/10/2019 at 10:44 AM, WayneM said:

Dubbing is probably my weak point for tying. And “tips” on how to make a nice dubbing noodle?

@WayneMYour fly looks just fine! Brush out the Hare's Ear fibres a bit and it'll look really buggy.

With dubbing, less is more. Start with a smaller pinch, a lot less than you might think, and get used to how long the noodle has to be to reach the thorax or bead. Then, if one has to add some more to gain the taper needed, spin a little bit more on. It's always much easier to add dubbing compared to taking it off!

Also, dubbing wax can help in some situations, especially with slippery silk or waxed threads. However, dubbing wax can gum-up the natural fibres, such as hare's ear or squirrel, and is easier to use with synthetic dubbing.

If one is right-handed, spin the dubbing on the thread in a clockwise fashion, that way when one starts wrapping away from one's self, the twist is covered over and over with each wrap. Spinning the dubbing on counter-clockwise opens the noodle before wrapping and makes the dubbing loose and prone to unravelling. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

I am a fan of Kelly Galloups Hares ear. and I find his long winded tying videos very helpful, or at least worth the time .

i prefer the non bead headed version on the bow.

Search Galloups hares ear, for links to the video on youtube.

good luck.

galloups-hares-ear-golden.jpg

• Like 1