Fly Fusion Forums

Advice about a new rod

I’m looking at buying a new rig this spring coming up. I’m thinking about a TFO 9 weight for pike walleye and Muskie. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with a TFO “temple fork outfitters” rod. Just looking for input before I spend the money.

With the TFO rod having a lifetime warranty, and the ability to go to the shop and have it repaired in about 10 minutes”so they say” I figured it might be worth it. Even with the lower price compared to say a crazy$$$ sage rig.

My trout rods are TFO and while I've wondered what an $800 - 1000 rod is like, I've never been temped away from the TFO value proposition. The rods caste well, handle large fish, and breakage repair is quick and convenient (car doors, or clumsy, big-footed fishing buddies: never had an on-water break). Being able to go to a local distributor for 10-minute service is a big plus.

I also have a 9wt TiCrX salt water rod and haven't ever got comfortable with it. But I'm just a wannabe big rod caster, so I put my TFO 9wt experience down to my lack of skill, or mismatching grain weights for my fly line. Bowbonehead's comment has me reconsidering this: maybe it's the rod.

I guess one lesson is test drive before you buy, if you can.

Lol any rod would be a upgrade from the pflueuger 5/6 weight I got to learn on. I thought learning I might break the tip or whatever, but after fishing every 2 days since April I have yet to have an issue.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:07 PM, monger said:

I have a BVK 6 and 8wt. I like the action of the rods, but the ferrules don't stay together very well. The components are pretty light weight, but acceptable. There is a reason the rods are cheaper than the high end rods

Try some beeswax on the ferrules.

• Like 1

I would have thought that would be a manufacturer defect. Im guessing you have been in to see them about this. What do they say?  

Reason i jumped in on this is cause i use TFO's. They dont particularly suit me. There are other brands which suit me better for casting, but i cant pass up the warrantee being local with no muss no fuss.

I would absolutely love to try casting a few different rods before I purchase a new one in the spring, but I’m the only person I know that fly fishes. DoYou know of any shops that would ever let you get a feel for it in the shop?

Hey Wayne, I have an older Sage 8 Wt FLI series that you could take out for a day if you like.  Personally, I fish a 6 WT for pike. I don’t catch anything big enough to have considering a bigger rod.  I know there are big pike out there, I just don’t seem to catch any over 30 inches.

Murray

4 minutes ago, murray said:

Hey Wayne, I have an older Sage 8 Wt FLI series that you could take out for a day if you like.  Personally, I fish a 6 WT for pike. I don’t catch anything big enough to have considering a bigger rod.  I know there are big pike out there, I just don’t seem to catch any over 30 inches.

Murray

That would be great but I’m in brooks. The average pike I hook up with at kinbrook island provincial park is around 45-50 inches, and I do that with my 6 weight pflueger, heck of a fight is all I can say lol

Honestly I’ve been reconsidering my next rod weight since I started this thread. I already land good sized pike and walleye with the rod I have, so thinking maybe I’ll look into a TFO lighter weight rod,or another quality brand but have limited resources I’m willing to invest in it. I do tend to spend more time adventuring small mountian streams then lake fishing when I can help it. I think maybe investing in a good trout stream rod may be a better investment really. Thoughts?

If the Pike are that size I will buy a boat and head there. A lot cheaper than flying to far northern lakes. All ready have the rods and tie my own Flies. Usually go on a northern trip every year. Not the same but can go for a day and return home.

3 hours ago, Fly007 said:

If the Pike are that size I will buy a boat and head there. A lot cheaper than flying to far northern lakes. All ready have the rods and tie my own Flies. Usually go on a northern trip every year. Not the same but can go for a day and return home.

It’s actualy a verve nice fishery, large walleye and pike. I believe the record for the lake is 34lbs “ I may be wrong” cnr only which is nice.