Fly Fusion Forums

What section to Float?

Hi All,

I'm taking my Fish Cat Scout out for its maiden voyage on the bow river this evening after work.  I've been out a couple times on lakes, so got a general idea of how it handles in the smooth water.  Time to try to flowing water.  

I'll be able to be on the water/ready to go around 4:30 or 5:00 pm.  Wondering what section of the Bow I should float.  I have until dark basically.  I plan to cab back to my vehicle as I have a large MEC dry bag to put the deflated scout into after the float, so I should stay within city limits.

Also, it's been a while since I've fished the bow, and I don't often fish while drifting (been on a guide boat twice before).  What's the best setup for while drifting?  I was thinking of going hopper/dropper, but not sure if the grasshoppers are out in force as I haven't seen many. The biggest question I have when using hopper/dropper set up is the distance  between the hopper and dropper.  

Otherwise, probably the good ole indy, red wire or squiggly worm, and pheasant tail trailer to start. 

Cheers,

Caley

I took my Fish Cat Pontoon out on it's maiden voyage the other night. Floated from Stoney Trail to Shouldice in the NW, took about 2.5 hours with a few stops. I found it very hard to fish from the pontoon while floating even using fins. I don't know what I would have done if I hooked up, would have been pretty funny to watch! Those raft style ones look a little better as you don't have to beach them to stand up and fish. I'll have to try again and practice controlling it a bit more using the fins. Let me know how you make out.

A good set of fins is essential and the hard plastic ones do not work well. I suggest getting a set of force fins which did me well. When you hook a fish,  kick into shore and fight it. If faster currents, float down with the fish until you can find a place to kick in. A long net helps as well, as you need to put a pretty big bend in your rod to get it in between your legs.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 11:36 AM, bod13 said:

I took my Fish Cat Pontoon out on it's maiden voyage the other night. Floated from Stoney Trail to Shouldice in the NW, took about 2.5 hours with a few stops. I found it very hard to fish from the pontoon while floating even using fins. I don't know what I would have done if I hooked up, would have been pretty funny to watch! Those raft style ones look a little better as you don't have to beach them to stand up and fish. I'll have to try again and practice controlling it a bit more using the fins. Let me know how you make out.

If you have the d-rings on the front of your pontoons. Run a bungee cord between the pontoons. Whenever you stand up, your boat won’t get away from you. 

I prefer to float between the spots I wish to fish rather than trying to fish while drifting.

• Like 1

Just got off the NW section myself an hour ago. I’m determined to figure it out. It will take some time. 3 on the streamer today although only one to the hand. I would say in a fast drift it would be chaotic to land a fish. It hasn’t happened yet to me. For the most part I use it to drift from spot to spot. I’ve only had my fish cat scout for a year. Great boat. 

• Like 1