Fly Fusion Forums

I snagged a beaver...what should I do?

scel

So, I am fishing the Bow at dark last night.  It is not uncommon to encounter beavers. They ruin the fishing, so when the beaver starts getting slap happy, it is time to move on.  This beaver continues to follow me down the river ruining every run.  So, I walk down a couple runs, then sit for 15 minutes.  I start swinging my streamer.  Sure enough, beaver shows up and starts slapping, so I angrily start stripping in my line to pack up and leave, then I hook up.  I thought this was a monstrous fish, but it turns out that it was the beaver.  I am using 20# fluoro, so breaking the line will not be an easy task, so I start reeling it in.  The line eventually just snaps in the tippet section.  The beaver then swims to shore about 4m away from me, looks around, takes a breather, then leaves.

I admit that I dislike beavers.  But not the beaver specifically, I just dislike that they ruin the fishing.  My first instinct was 'you deserved it', but that is just being an a$$hole.  The beaver is just doing beaver things.  I am certain there is no part of the beaver manual that includes 'how to treat fly anglers'.  I do not think the beaver linked me with what happened or it would not have swum to shore so close to me, so there was no lesson learned either.

I feel badly because this beaver has an articulated streamer impaled into it, and really, it did not deserve it.  Or it is tangled in line, which I think is actually scenario

It is debarbed, so it could be removed by simply pulling it out, if the beaver has the wherewithal to do it.  A beaver is more than capable of cutting fluorocarbon line if it is tangled.  Is there anything I could do or is this simply one of those 'mother nature is kind of cruel' moments?

• Like 2

I think I wouldn't attempt removing the fly yourself. imagine fighting a 40lb water rat that uses his teeth to bring down trees, just to save him.  If you call ASRD I'm sure they'll say "thanks, we'll look into it." and then nothing.  If not ASRD who would you call?

Nature has a way of figuring things out.  I've seen 3 legged, 1 eyed mammals many times thriving in the wild.  The hook will most likely fall out in a few days, or the beaver will suffer adverse effects and feed a hungry coyote.  

I personally feel bad for you Scel, a double articulated streamer gone.... ouch

• Like 1