Fly Fusion Forums

Drift boat wreck at police

For any not aware.... The river is huge right now, large river hydraulics, flow much faster, put a bunch of gear, people etc. in your boat and that kind of weight and everything happens way quicker .

A drift boat went into the rock wall coming into police, boat is pinned againest Boulder and has few thousand pounds of water smashing through it.

As far as I know everyone is ok.

• Like 1

I was down today watching the Fire Department try to recover the boat. Unfortunately it did not go well as the boat ended up sinking after them getting it off the rocks. The boat floated down past the island and the fire department were still working on the recovery when i left. Don't know how to download the video but do have lots of pics and video on the efforts of the recovery Glad everyone got out safe which is the most important thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fishteck said:

Good intentions but lack of knowledge by the Foothills Fire Department. When I spoke to them they seemed full of confidence the boat would be found with no problem. 

Where was the owner? Nowhere to be seen!

Curious why the fire dept took it upon themselves to remove it. In 3-4 more days, it would be dry on the rocks, easily bucketed and towed from the lot with little damage. How about now? Hoping for the best. 

Amazes me how how lucky people are on the Bow . Anywhere else when a boat sinks, it’s usually in the news since someone died with it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jksnijders said:

Did they seriously think they could manhandle a half submerged boat into the launch like that?    Wow...

Where the hell is the anchor to the shore using ferry angle to do it for you? They obviously need to re-read their swiftwater rescue manual

• Like 4

I have about 20 minutes of video of FFD trying to free the boat BEFORE it actually got away from them. I will send them an email to see if they would like to use any or all of the videos i took in hopes they might want to review and possibly get some learning from the video. When i first seen the FFD discussing the recovery yesterday,  they asked me if i knew who owned the boat. I don't. I thought that was a little weird as they told me they rescued the two of them the day before? Not sure what that says. 

• Like 3

Wow, I what’s up with that. Secure the Bow of the boat to a tree on the shore before you try to move it off the rocks. What is the “Calgary” Fire Department boat doing here in the first place, isn’t this outside the city limits? Are they now responsible for property recovery? IMHO if the Fire Department is having trouble finding places to cut their 122 Million dollar budget this boat is the first place to start.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FlashBang said:

Wow, I what’s up with that. Secure the Bow of the boat to a tree on the shore before you try to move it off the rocks. What is the “Calgary” Fire Department boat doing here in the first place, isn’t this outside the city limits? Are they now responsible for property recovery? IMHO if the Fire Department is having trouble finding places to cut their 122 Million dollar budget this boat is the first place to start.

That's the Foothills Fire Dept boat, not CFD

• Like 2

It was the Foothills Fired Department and they tried a few different methods to get it off the rocks. They were doing their best but hindsight is 20/20

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cgyguy said:

It was the Foothills Fired Department and they tried a few different methods to get it off the rocks. They were doing their best but hindsight is 20/20

The Foothills Fire Department then. Sorry, hard to see that on my iPhone.

Why are they doing property recovery?  Safety issue? Attempting to remove a hazard from the river, how’d that work out? I suggest that the Fire Safety Boats are one of the greatest hazards on the Bow River, particularly when they buzz downstream in side channels, full of tubers (I’ve seen them do it).

Back to the matter of boat recovery from flowing waters. During recovery efforts elsewhere they tie off the front on the boat before attempting to remove it from the rocks (or even to pop one off the bottom of the river, as the case may be). Water is heavy, you can’t hold back a driftboat full of water? Hindsight, more like no vision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcubed said:

Where the hell is the anchor to the shore using ferry angle to do it for you? They obviously need to re-read their swiftwater rescue manual

Roger on that Brent.  Very surprised at their attempt, but as mention by others, hindsight is 20/20

5 hours ago, FlashBang said:

particularly when they buzz downstream in side channels, full of tubers (I’ve seen them do it).

Almost got run over by them on Friday just upstream from Mckinnons. They came by full tilt skipping through a skinny side channel and put it sideways around the corner within a few feet of us standing fishing the side channel. They came back and offered a sheepish apology, but they could have killed us if they would have hit us at those speeds.

This is a classical "We know better" - "No need to ask". "An overreach of jurisdiction"  take your pick.

I asked if they planned to charge the boat owner for the recovery? But before they responded, I though they were wondering if they would be charged for destruction of the boat! 

There answer was maybe!

Matt: Who tried to run you down? CFD or Foothills fire Department. If it was CFD they are out of their jurisdiction. Take their numbers and time of day and call 311. Also post the information on this forum

• Like 1

20 hours ago, monger said:

Jet boats in side streams better be ducking from incoming rocks

I sure hope not, all river users have the same rights as us anglers.  There is no telling where anglers are going to stand to fish and many jet boaters aren't serious anglers, they think you standing in water is crazy......

Perspectives, we all share the Bow in a city of over 1,000,000

• Like 1

Flying up/down a small sidestream on plane, with the chance of running into an oncoming boat/tuber/pontoon/wader in close quarters is acceptable???? I am afraid we will have to disagree on that one. The chance for something to go really wrong is too great. Just because we CAN do some things doesn't mean we SHOULD 

• Like 5