Fly Fusion Forums

danhunt

I sat down at the vise last night to tie up some damsels and as I was picking through my marabou looking for the "right shade of green" it occurred to me that in lakes where I've seen a damsel migration I've often seen the nymphs in various shades from dark olive to almost chartreuse during the same event.  Has anyone else noticed this and/or has anyone noticed an appreciable difference in effectiveness using different colors? I think Dave Whitlock had a two tone light & dark olive pattern, maybe this is the way to go and save some space in the fly box instead of having multiple patterns?

Dan,

ive seen the same thing. Lots of colours but mostly on the light green colour. I wonder if it related to the adults. There are dark olive and bright blue. They seem to be of either sex if using “who is on top” criteria.

Don

• Like 2

i have very good luck with small and slim damsel nymph (size 12 c49s/gold rib/marabou/bead) in mountain lakes. light green is the colour i have most success with. through out the past years fishing ab/bc lakes, most common damsel sampled from fish were baby damsel in light green - to pale or almost transparent colour. 

5 hours ago, DonAndersen said:

Monger,

lib that case, there are a lot of gay ones particularly in southern Alberta.

Don

Figured that suggestion was inevitably going to be made sooner or later in this thread...

Been seeing a lot of adults in past week in Calgary (damsels that is), not going to speculate as to male or female, almost all of them blue.

I would guess that regardless of adult coloration, the nymphs are all in that light green - dark olive/brown color?