Fly Fusion Forums

Steelhead/salmon Patterns

bulltrout

it seems like the last couple of contests, there have been quite a few steelie patterns that people have been wanting to post...thus, i have come up with a solution for everyone to flaunt their stuff and show off their fancy flies...STEELHEAD/SALMON PATTERNS...flies posted with a pic and recipe by 9:00 PM Sunday, December 23 with the normal poll to follow...

some guidelines for those entering:

1) the first 20 entered get in the poll...anything after is just for show...

2) don't make it too complicated...with Christmas around the corner, i doubt many people have 6 hours to kill on one fly (unless you want to...

3) this is the one contest of the year where voting should be based on LOOKS RATHER THAN FUNCTIONALITY...keep the fly neat...

4) have fun and enjoy the entries...:)

post-1715-1198074500.jpgHi

There is my steelhead "The robocop" all made of synthetic material.

michel921

I was forget the pattern; now there is the pattern:

Hook: Partridge N 1/0

Tail: fluoro fiber chartreuse

Body: ice chenille black-chartreuse-black

Wing: fluoro fiber white

Throat: fluoro fiber chartreuse

Cheeks: synthetic jungle cock

Head: midge diamond braid root beer

Thread: 8/0 uni-thread white

michel921

My Entry will be a Green Highlander, Classic Salmon Fly.

Pattern:

Hook: Partridge CS10/3 with gut eye

Tip: Extra fine oval silver tinsel

Tag: Yellow Silk

Butt: Black Ostrich herl

Tail: Golden Pheasant Crest

Tail Veiling: Barred Woodduck

Body: Rear portion, yellow silk, front portion, highlander green seal fur dubbed

Rib: Silver Uni Twist

Hackle: Green Hen Saddle

Throat: Yellow Hen Saddle

Wing: Married turkey tail, Yellow, red, orange, green, separated with lady amherst pheasant, kori bustard, lady amherst pheasant, with topping

Wing Veiling: Gadwall and Barred Woodduck

Cheeks: Jungle Cock and Indian crow sub.

Started this one last night and sat down today and finished it off, still needs a couple coats of cellire on the head.

I did something I usually don't do, I included the IC sub cheeks, Mallard roof, and horns on this Green Highlander, I did play with the wing configuration a bit, I separated the colours with 1 single barb of Lady Amherst pheasant and used some Kori Bustard in the wing.

Total time for completion, 3 hours.

I hope you all like it.

All the Best,

Damian.

post-973-1198092451.jpg

should mention to the new tyers that have been entering...NO PREVIOUSLY TIED FLIES ON ANY CONTEST...sorry guys but i gotta keep it fair somehow

Now you tell me. I've broken that rule many times (as I'm sure most of us have).

Sweet fly Cape. You're going to scare everyone away with that one.

Thanks guys. I thought about that Hydro, and was considering not entering a fly, but I thought about it a bit more and thought, maybe it could work the other way, perhaps it might help inspire others or help to push others to really pull out the stops on their fly.

I'll start a poll to see what everyone thinks, my feelings wouldn't be hurt if people didn't want me to enter a fly. :)

in response to some negative PM's i received (not naming names here), if anyone wants to dig out a fly they tied previously to enter, go for it...my whole reasoning for not wanting previously tied flies going on here goes way back to the old FFA forum where people weren't trying to tie something cool or special, they were just digging through their fly boxes or what have you to find a fly that looked good enough (i still remember that one guy PMing me in the old forum and telling me that he bought the fly to post...go figure)...i personally don't think that is fair to those who put in the time to put a fly in for a contest...but if those who PM'd me with those kind words are worried bout it, then go ahead a dig through the archives if you wish to do so...:)

i still remember that one guy PMing me in the old forum and telling me that he bought the fly to post...

Thats just cheating. <_<

I can see not reposting a fly you've posted in a previous contest but a lot of the times, I don't have the time to tie up a fresh pattern by the given deadline (this x-mas season is a good example). Right now, I'm currently tying some fishing flies to replenish my stock (when I get a minute here and there). Digging through my stuff to pull out different materials/hooks/treads/etc discourages me enough. I appreciate being able to pull out a previously tied fly. Thanks, DBT.

I gave my xmas fly to Bigbowtrout and he didnt even fish it. WTF?

Trust me it will get fished. Last time you gave me a sweet fly it was the Canada day fly and I stuck it in a tree and lost it and I felt bad so the Christmas fly is sitting at home next to the fridge so I do look at it about every 5 min :blink:

Ok I stayed up all night on my very first fly and here it is ;):lol:

Hook: Mustad 34011 2/0

Tag: Medium Oval Tinsel

Body: Green floss, ribbed with red and silver holographic tinsel

Underbody: Tricolor Flash RED GOLD GREEN, Green Saddle feather

Wing: Red and White buck tail

Eye: Jungle Cock

Black Laquered Head.

Xmasfly.jpg

Dave I have a lot of time off over Xmas so lets get out and I will land a 20"+ on this sweet fly YOU GAVE ME :D