Fly Fusion Forums

Alberta Bridges & River Access

Here’s a question about river access from bridges in Alberta. My understanding is that the public can access rivers at bridges and wade the rivers below the high-water mark. However, most such bridges that I’ve come across in southern Alberta have barbed wire strategically placed that are seemingly designed to block that access, or at least to intimidate Albertans from exercising their citizenship rights on these rivers. Now, there may be reasons more linked to cattle grazing involved, but that’s not the impression I get. The undeclared message seems to be more "Keep Out!" and "No Trespassing!" even where landowners may not necessarily have the right to make such claims.

Are there any clear-cut guidelines or good practice recommendations available about how we can best access that water while, of course, retaining good relations with landholders? Is it the case that even where there is a public bridge and a public road, we must ask local permission to access the river? If so, what is the most productive way to request such access?

No permission needed as long as you stay below high water. You will encounter many landowners who will try and intimidate you, but as long as you stay below high water you are good. This can be difficult sometimes to navigate some of these fencing quagmires. I have had several landowners try and intimidate me and tell me I wasn't allowed to fish and was trespassing. Twice a quick call to fish and wildlife and have them come out if they're reasonably close, settled the matter. Once I had to wait for about an hour, would have been easier to go to a different access point, but it was the principle. Don't cut their fences and try to be courteous as possible, but don't let ranchers intimidate you from fishing. Sometimes it really is a grazing thing too, though.

That being said, especially in southern Alberta, sometimes a quick knock on the door and chat with a landowner can give you some unbelievably great access. I have had multiple landowners grant permission to not only cross their land, but allow me to drive in on their private trails and even been permitted to camp. Mutual respect thing right. Same with hunting access. They understand the guy who actually puts in the effort to ask permission, is respectful, and will be respectful, follows the rules - instead of just going where he pleases. Worst they can say is no, you won't be shot. If access is granted, follow up with a tim's card, a bottle, a christmas card, any gesture, and I guarantee you will have access for life.

Bottom line, don't let any of the fence-the-fishermen-out fences along bridges keep you out.

• Like 1

Most of the barb wire is in place because they don't want their cattle to exit the land. I'll respectfully jump barb wire every day if it's in a road allowance, as that's owned by the Province.

Also, the rec access website is quite helpful to determine who to talk to, as mentioned above, it does make a difference if you just knock and say hello.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 9:33 AM, bcubed said:

Most of the barb wire is in place because they don't want their cattle to exit the land. I'll respectfully jump barb wire every day if it's in a road allowance, as that's owned by the Province.

Also, the rec access website is quite helpful to determine who to talk to, as mentioned above, it does make a difference if you just knock and say hello.

Just keep in mind not all road allowances are totally public in Alberta. Many are leased or subleased to landowners (undeveloped ones obviously) with the crown's right to end the lease at any time to develop a road. But I do know of several instances where a county or the crown has leased the road allowance to a landowner for grazing or otherwise, so just keep that in mind. Obviously in the case of bridges you're fine to go across, but for some instances at a 90 along a river or creek where the allowance intersects. If you're ever unsure a quick call to the county office can generally answer the question as long as you have your rough legal location,

• Like 1