Fly Fusion Forums

Anchor System for 14' Aluminum Boat

So I purchased a second hand aluminum boat today, and am looking for suggestions for an anchor system, hopefully one that I can operate myself from the back of the boat.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what and where to buy?  Secondly, what would be the best way to set this up?  Running along the side of the boat, along the floor (would probably need to be covered), or any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

I used 2 25 lb pyramids for my old 1756 jon boat.Using scottie anchor locks, 50' of braided marine rope,11/2feet of galv.chain.When it was windy i added the same on the opposite side.So in this case 1 out front,1 on ea.corner  This boat had a lot of surface are &  ,mostly flat & close to the water.V hull you might get away with less,of course wind being the major factor...Play safe

So I'm going to go a bit contrarian here...I have a 12' alum boat and I run it with only one anchor, off the bow.  Let the boat windmill in the wind - in big wind/waves (which for a 12' boat, don't need to be all that large in order to feel big) it keeps the bow pointed into the wind/waves, which is good for safety/stability.  I like to cover a lot of water when I fish from an anchored position, so letting the boat windmill around is somewhat helpful in that regard.

I also often fish multiple-fly rigs (where allowed) and more than once, I'm somewhat ashamed to admit, I've had a fish break me off by dragging the line over the anchor rope, and getting one of the other flies on the rig caught on the anchor rope (can't always keep those big ones away from the anchor rope during the fight).  I imagine this would be more of a risk when two or more anchor lines down.

I should note that most of my fishing in this boat is by my lonesome, so I can cast wherever when the boat is windmilling.  If more than one person in the boat, better fixing of the boat via multiple anchors may be desirable.

1 hour ago, Sparkplug said:

So I'm going to go a bit contrarian here...I have a 12' alum boat and I run it with only one anchor, off the bow.  Let the boat windmill in the wind - in big wind/waves (which for a 12' boat, don't need to be all that large in order to feel big) it keeps the bow pointed into the wind/waves, which is good for safety/stability.  I like to cover a lot of water when I fish from an anchored position, so letting the boat windmill around is somewhat helpful in that regard.

I also often fish multiple-fly rigs (where allowed) and more than once, I'm somewhat ashamed to admit, I've had a fish break me off by dragging the line over the anchor rope, and getting one of the other flies on the rig caught on the anchor rope (can't always keep those big ones away from the anchor rope during the fight).  I imagine this would be more of a risk when two or more anchor lines down.

I should note that most of my fishing in this boat is by my lonesome, so I can cast wherever when the boat is windmilling.  If more than one person in the boat, better fixing of the boat via multiple anchors may be desirable.

Do you think Spinning around and losing the depth at where your fly is fishing (esp bobber fishing) is going to cost you more fish than how many you get hung up on a second anchor rope?  

• Like 1

I think 15lb anchors would hold you just fine. I've always figured if I'm getting blown off my anchors, it's too windy to fish any way.

As far as two anchors go, indy fishing with only one lets your boat slew around and it doesn't take very long to get big bellies in your line, causing 

a lot of casting

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bron said:

Do you think Spinning around and losing the depth at where your fly is fishing (esp bobber fishing) is going to cost you more fish than how many you get hung up on a second anchor rope?  

The boat generally doesn't move around that much, such that my target casting area generally is always within range.