Fly Fusion Forums

Whitehorse intel needed

No section below for this I guess...so put it here. 

Headed to Whitehorse Aug 2-9

Will spend a few days there, then touring to Dawson and Skagway. 

$25 license is appealing. Will bring rods. 

Can only walk and wade and I’m not afraid to hike and explore. 

Looking for some general guidance to cut down on searching time. 

Looks to be lots of grayling, what else?

To echo what SD said; and here's how:

Honestly if you know a little about grayling habitat, ie any creek mouth or good looking place, they will be there. Did that drive a few years ago and anywhere we stopped for a whiz and a few casts we got into em.

• Like 1

I was up in the Yukon a couple of years ago. We didn't do a lot of fishing, lots of touring around. I did find the people at the information centers really helpful. The visitor center in Haines Junction is really nice. From Haines we went south and fished Kathleen river. Caught a rainbow and some grayling. Good sizes there. We then went to Jarvis river west of Haines Junction. It is smaller but full of grayling. My daughter had a blast there where she named her little mepps the grayling slayer. She couldn't keep them off. Beautiful up there!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Big eddy on the Riverside part of Whitehorse (below the dam but just above the intake where kayakers play) is a good place for grayling.  Jackson Lake just outside the city off Fish Creek Road is also a good spot for grayling (turn left when you get to the lake and fish where the creek enters the lake).  And if you’re heading to Dawson - the Klondike River is also good for grayling - especially just up the Dempster.