Fly Fusion Forums

Where the hell can you find Corky indicators anymore?

As the title says; does anyone know where a person can find the worden's brand corkies for indicators? I refuse to use the peg style if fishing less than 12' with a bobber.

The fishin hole used to carry them in the bulk walleye tackle area for making bouncing rigs, but it appears now they no longer do either. Anyone?

Thankyou in advance!

Thanks mdfcontracting, those will work at the fishin hole. Checked Cabela's canada with no luck but found them online from cabelas.com

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Wordens-Lures-LilCorky-Bodies/1166949.uts

6 bucks US doesn't sound too bad for 25 but I bet you'll pay 4x that in shipping and customs. Looks to be all tiny sizes though.

Also right off Yakima's site:

http://store.yakimabait.com/search.php?mode=search&substring=lil+corky&including=phrase&by_title=on&search_in_subcategories=on

Thanks Lornce I never even thought to give BPS a look.

Current - The Canadian Tire here doesn't have them.

I miss Wholesale for this type of stuff nobody else had!

On 5/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, northfork said:

As the title says; does anyone know where a person can find the worden's brand corkies for indicators? I refuse to use the peg style if fishing less than 12' with a bobber.

The fishin hole used to carry them in the bulk walleye tackle area for making bouncing rigs, but it appears now they no longer do either. Anyone?

Thankyou in advance!

I must be missing something.  Aren't corkies a "peg style" indicator i.e. you need to peg them in place with a toothpick.  Not corkies, but you can go here and get a lifetimes worth cheap: floats in bulk

18 hours ago, professori said:

I must be missing something.  Aren't corkies a "peg style" indicator i.e. you need to peg them in place with a toothpick.  Not corkies, but you can go here and get a lifetimes worth cheap: floats in bulk

Yes, corkies are a peg style indicator held in place with a toothpick.  The difference between the corkies and the other peg-style indicators are the way they are held in place on the leader.  The peg-style indicator is held in place making a small loop in the leader and then stuffing the peg (and a small length of leader) in the indicator.  With a strike, you set the hook and the small loop should slip a bit.  At that point, the indicator is left loose sliding up and down the leader.  The problem is if the fish breaks you off or you have to break off intentionally, you lose the indicator.  With the corkie and toothpick, you may or may not lose the indicator, depending on where it was stationed to leader/tippet.

Phil Rowley has a solution to the break-off problem on the peg-style and that is to tie a small swivel below the indicator and above the fly.  This way, the indicator cannot slide past the swivel.  This poses a different kind of problem, switching from nymphing to dry fly quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 7:04 AM, Gerald said:

Yes, corkies are a peg style indicator held in place with a toothpick.  The difference between the corkies and the other peg-style indicators are the way they are held in place on the leader.  The peg-style indicator is held in place making a small loop in the leader and then stuffing the peg (and a small length of leader) in the indicator.  With a strike, you set the hook and the small loop should slip a bit.  At that point, the indicator is left loose sliding up and down the leader.  The problem is if the fish breaks you off or you have to break off intentionally, you lose the indicator.  With the corkie and toothpick, you may or may not lose the indicator, depending on where it was stationed to leader/tippet.

Phil Rowley has a solution to the break-off problem on the peg-style and that is to tie a small swivel below the indicator and above the fly.  This way, the indicator cannot slide past the swivel.  This poses a different kind of problem, switching from nymphing to dry fly quickly.

Gerald, what you are describing is a quick release indicator.  I have a hundred or so of them from the link I supplied.  I have lost all love for them, as they are only reliable when relatively new.  Once they are used for a bit they either, release when you are casting (the peg is sitting too loosely) or they refuse to release when you you have a fish on (the peg is too tight).  I have taken all of mine and drilled a 1/8" hole through the peg (they come with about a 1/16" hole), then I apply glue to them (cyanoacrilic glue) and push the peg as deeply as I can into the indicator.  Now I have an indicator with a hard surface I can pin with a toothpick.  I have spent a week lake fishing with the same indicator for the entire time.  

If you send me a mailing address, I will happily give you a 1/2 dozen of them to try. 

On 5/24/2019 at 9:56 AM, professori said:

Gerald, what you are describing is a quick release indicator.  I have a hundred or so of them from the link I supplied.  I have lost all love for them, as they are only reliable when relatively new.  Once they are used for a bit they either, release when you are casting (the peg is sitting too loosely) or they refuse to release when you you have a fish on (the peg is too tight).  I have taken all of mine and drilled a 1/8" hole through the peg (they come with about a 1/16" hole), then I apply glue to them (cyanoacrilic glue) and push the peg as deeply as I can into the indicator.  Now I have an indicator with a hard surface I can pin with a toothpick.  I have spent a week lake fishing with the same indicator for the entire time.  

If you send me a mailing address, I will happily give you a 1/2 dozen of them to try. 

I used to buy the corkys from wholesale and drill a hole in the foam for the peg.  Corkys foam is much harder that the cheapo indies from wholesale or the rowleys.  One indie lasts multiple trips.  Giver a run, you wont be disappointed.  If you need the quick release pegs, they sell them at fish tales, couple o bucks for a five pack.  Cheers.

Last year I found some indicators by an outfit out of Maple Ridge called Top Shelf floats - they have a hard-ish rubber insert in the middle and a hollow plastic peg that secures the line in same manner as the Rowley style indicator.  They aren't cheap, but I've been using the same one for more than a season now and it's still going strong and doesn't have the issue of the leader wearing groves in the foam of the indicator body. 

• Like 1

I have been using the Thill indicators (wood bobber) for quite a few years now.  I have them in all 3 sizes.  When fishing in 8' of water or less they are great.  Red one side and florescent green the other.  Great for when conditions change and you can't see your bobber anymore. 

I used to get them at wholesale sports.  I'm not sure where you could get them now.  I know they were never in the fly fishing section though.  I would assume it to be the same for Bass Pro or Cabelas.