Fly Fusion Forums

Learning to fly fish

Never too old - good for you for taking an interest.  I agree that taking some casting lessons from a reputable shop is a great place to start.  Some of us are "self taught" - I didn't have my first casting lesson with a qualified instructor until 30 years into my flyfishing time - but it was amazing how those lessons straightened out some long-practiced bad habits.

I would also say that the other best thing to do is read, read, and read some more - from the classics (e.g., "Masters on the Nymph" was a seminal one for me, as was Charlie Brooks' "Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout"; Gary Lafontaine's books; etc.) to the wealth of great stuff available today on-line.

I have found that keeping a good fishing diary has also been very helpful as a learning tool (particularly for those of us whose memory may not be quite what it used to be), particularly from year to year - noting not only whether you caught any fish on a particular outing, but other helpful observations such as insect activity, water conditions, weather, etc.

• Like 1

The best plan is to take lessons from an expert. The second best thing to do is read what the experts say. Since the Internet, today is a great source of information, here is a link to a reading list that I would recommend.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w373c3fewjb3gnq/Useful%20Internet%20Sites.docx?dl=0 – Useful articles for the trout fisher

Lots of online resources exist (e.g., Orvis learn to fly fish series).  That said, there is nothing quite like in-person instruction. McLennan Fly Fishing is a wonderful place to start.  Jim and Lynda are both awesome teachers, and will get you going in the right direction. Never too old!

• Like 1

I agree with everything being suggested, I am also reminded of something that Jim Mcl said in one of his books, that goes along these lines “ Learning to Fly fish is like learning ballet, you can’t do it by simply reading books....” so get some good basic gear, take lessons, do some reading, but most importantly get out on the water with a knowledgeable buddy. I’m sure many on this board would gladly help out with this.

• Like 1