Fly Fusion Forums

High altitude Chironomids

Nachako

As I start fishing more in the spring I never used many Chironomids

I was wondering what some of your favorite high altitude still water Chironomids might be .

I am in the mid of tying season. 

Thanks Paul

on my home lake (6000') I find that a sizes 12 - 16 tied in either black or maroon with a silver or silver and black rib and sometimes a red tag is all i use. I've been fooling around with beads lately and  now my go to is a smallest white tung bead that'll fit the hook followed by a black tung 2.8mm bead for the thorax, this allows a very fast decent and hangs really well without a swivel in deeper water.

Ray

18 hours ago, Bron said:

Chrome/gunmetal red or black rib with black or white bead is pretty much the only chironomid you *really* need #10-16 covers most scenarios.

Im sure mr Anderson will have something to say/about the bead. Ha

This enough said.

Over the years I have found that odd colors (or attractor patterns, I guess) have more often outfished the more natural colors described above in this post (not to slag the natural chiro's in any way, as all of the aforementioned patterns have been good as well).  I particularly like one with a UV hot pink marabou tail (about full body length), deep purple holo mylar body ribbed with maroon wire, UV purple ice dub thorax, and a pearl white bead.   Mmmm, deep purple.