Fly Fusion Forums

River Otters on The Bow

So one of the photographers i follow on instagram has posted a bunch of pictures of a family of river otters on the Bow in the city. I think its really cool (sorry Don). I know they eat the fish but I feel like its their home first my hobby second. As far as i know we are part of their native range and if we aren't, well, we are now lol. Look up @thirteenthavenuephotography on instagram to see them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DonAndersen said:

Otters are an invasive species much like Asian Carp.

However, they are “cute”.

Disney strikes again.

Don

It would Seem like the interwebs disagrees. Even an article here from your neck of the woods.

https://www.producer.com/2013/09/experts-tally-river-otter-population/

seems like this debate happened before? Maybe I’m missing something 

6 hours ago, DonAndersen said:

Otters are an invasive species much like Asian Carp.

Can you site your source for this information, as all historical data I can find shows that North American river otters occupy all provinces and territories, except for PEI.

Guys, 

I got a kick outta listening to people tell me that this or that lived here or there. One of these was a local biologist who is younger that some of my ties. So, I thought of the business of furs and realized the fur companies kept records. Further, if it was marketable, it was killed and traded for goods. 

Do take the time to read,  as I have, the Factor Log for the fur types traded to the Fort at Rocky Mountain House in the 150 years of existence,. One otter traded by the natives who lived from the 49th to Grand Cache along the eastern slopes. Grizzly Bear and Wolverine hides were traded suggesting the natives killed and traded what they could to survive.

The Manitoba Govt has the originals. I was allowed to see copies

Lots of otters traded into Ft. Edmonton from the Crees from the Boreal Forest regions. Jayhad, clearly the info you had is correct but for the boreal forested area not the sub-alpine or alpine regions. Alberts is a huge place with many land types. Not all shared all species.

As far as otters in Rocky. In fifty years of living here I has only seen otters for the past few years.  Most of the govt biologists have never seen one. Last I heard they were still looking for otter *hit.

i’ve seen Otters at Cow Lake, Prairie Creek, Clearwater River, Mitchell Lake, Beaver Lake and Ironside Pond.

However I have seem fewer otters seen in the past couple of years. Why they arrived and why tbe numbers are down is not known. There is a fur limit of one for this region.

Don

• Like 1