Fly Fusion Forums

Signs of Spring

I drove past Dogpound yesterday afternoon and there was about 4"-6" of melt water flowing over the ice.  There were a few thin looking spots on the little Red, but the big Red and FT both looked to be fairly locked up still.  With double digit temps forecast for next week spring might finally be here!

• Like 2

Early last spring, a Northern Flicker went to work on a house down the street from me.  Owners are snowbirds - imagine the shock of coming home and seeing basically all of the wood trim work on your house drilled up and ruined.

Took most of the summer to repair, mostly by replacing with non-wood materials like stone.  However,  for some strange reason one trim board above the front door was not repaired/replaced.

Sure enough, last week, as I was walking by in the morning, I hear the rat-a-tat-tat of the Northern Flicker, hard at work one year later.  Now drilling holes in between the ones he/she drilled last year (infill drilling?).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trailhead said:

Oh and the magpies are building a nest in the tree that hangs over the road in front of my neighbors house. Direct line of sound to our bedroom window. Guess I'm getting up early every morning this summer

If you enjoy quiet mornings, be proactive and destroy the nest in the dark before she lays eggs. Otherwise you will completely curse magpies for the rest of your life.

Seen a couple of ducks around here, some geese to the east. Can't help but think we'll get at least one more good blizzard yet...

I have done the nest destruction before when they were building in my backyard, easy enough to get up. This one is hanging out over the street and about 80 ft in the air. Will try some other tricks I have been told and will see what happens.

Speaking of robins at the end of the last cold spell i was sure i was hearing robins chirping in the morning when i was walking to the garage but didn't see any. Then on March 3 when the low temp was -28 and high was -14,  I see 3 robins sitting in a tree in neighbour's yard. Those birds must have been wondering WTF?

21 hours ago, trailhead said:

I have done the nest destruction before when they were building in my backyard, easy enough to get up. This one is hanging out over the street and about 80 ft in the air. Will try some other tricks I have been told and will see what happens.

Ouch. That complicates things!