Fly Fusion Forums

Bamboo rod maker documentary

Here's a link to a trailer to a documentary on bamboo rod makers that I came across today.  I thought it might be of interest to those who are into bamboo.  I guess they need to build up the drama with the synopsis of dying art kept alive by a few master craftsmen ...vanishing legacy . Regardless I look forward to seeing documentary  when it gets out.  

Edit I forgot to mention it's called " Chasing the Taper"

https://tinboatproductions.com/

• Like 1

I couldn’t resist. There are more bamboo rod builders today than most might suspect. The builders exist in B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and perhaps more further east. 

In Alberta, I am aware of 7 builders which is a record. When I started some 35 years ago, there were two. 

Unlike years past, most builders build to suit themselves with only a few selling rods. 

These builders are pushing the material and designs into some really interesting places exploring ideas that folks who are driven to feed families often don’t have the resources. This has resulted in rods of two, three, four, five, six, eight and twelve strips as well as inside out rods, truncated triangle rods, hollow rods and on and on. While some of the following is not new ideas, the ideas are being explored.

Like most crafts, web sites have appeared. 

There are a number of videos on UTube showing the hows and whys of building a rod.

A dying craft, it isn’t. 

I started FFing with bamboo some 60 years ago and then traipsed along following the newest and bestest finally realizing some 30 years ago I had it right the first time.

i still fish plastic rods  for coarse fish.

Don

Bamboorods.ca

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A friend andcI were playong in the front yard today with a bevy of 8’>8’3” rods in 6 weight. These are big river or lake rods. We were putting cast out well over 70’ without much double hauling.

Three of the four were solid and one was hollowed. All were six strip. Good fun on a winter day. 

Don

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DonAndersen said:

A friend andcI were playong in the front yard today with a bevy of 8’>8’3” rods in 6 weight. These are big river or lake rods. We were putting cast out well over 70’ without much double hauling.

Three of the four were solid and one was hollowed. All were six strip. Good fun on a winter day. 

Don

I'm curious Don, do you try out a few fly lines to find out what works best with your rods?   There are just so many choices for fly lines these days I'm not sure if it's a bad or good thing.   And on top that you have all the hype to wade through.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:02 AM, fishjunkie said:

I'm curious Don, do you try out a few fly lines to find out what works best with your rods?   There are just so many choices for fly lines these days I'm not sure if it's a bad or good thing.   And on top that you have all the hype to wade through.

Hi,

i fish Cartland 444 DT lines on 5 weights and under. Been using them for near 45 years. First decent fly line I got was a Cortland  333 bought from Harry Horner who worked at Woodward’s in Chinook Mall. I paid a whole $13.00 when my days pay was $10.75/day in 1964. In 6 weights, I use Cortland WF6F, and Sci. Ang. Ultimate Trout and several sinking likes from a number of companies. For bass and pike, I am presently using a wet tip  and a bass bug taper from Sci. .Ang. I have several steelhead wet tips and specialized shooting tapers.

Several things about today’s line manufacturers concern me. Several build their lines 1/2>2 lines weights heavier than marked on the box. Each of them seem to confess the real weights on their respective web sites. Be careful, they will and do BS you.

Most line manufacturers build decent products. I have owned several other lines from other manufacurers and returned to what I listed above. 

I get about 250 days out of a Floating line cleaning them occasionally. 

As far as bamboo rods,  I fish the same  lines on them or graphite or glass. Makes no difference to me. 

The only line I own that really is different is a HDH (6 weight) silk line that casts further, lands lighter and lasts longer than any plastic line. 

Some people talk about 25 year old silk lines.

Regards,

Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Harry Horner ran the fishing/outdoor dept. at Woodward’s for a number of years. He was also a member of the Hook and Hackle Club.

He left Woodward’s and worked for a time at Barrottos when they were located just across the bridge on 9th Ave. If I recall correctly, he passed while steelheading in B.C. 

regards, 

Don 

• Like 1