Fly Fusion Forums

Want to be a better fly fisherman or woman?

Began learning some new casting techniques last season. Was shown a roll cast mend that keeps a dry fly drifting drag free in conflicting currents much longer than say a reach cast followed by regular mending. Working on and making good progress at placing my offering in tight places such as narrow openings in log jams and tight spots, in and between large woody debis cover and under over hanging vegetation. Those seemingly frustrating and inacessible places westslopes hideout. In. The Arrow Cast comes to mind. Lots of fun stepping up the skill set.

I want to get out in the back yard before the season starts with a couple of my fly rods and practice a bit of casting to a paper plate or targets of some kind. Especially after the winter doldrums, grass casting is a nice way to get the feel back for accuracy. There's a certain spot on "Frenchmans Creek" that housed a Big Brown. One cast to a tiny target tented by logs is usually all you get. Sskwala, you know the spot.

bIBXSdW.jpg

Been pondering new places and over the past couple of days ran a list of streams/lakes I’ve fished over the past 60 years. 

A rough list shows 60 lakes or ponds with a further 80 streams and creeks. The water bodies were from the 49 parallel to close to Peace River unfortunately not a lot of them were in tbe east or NE part of Alberta.

Does anyone have any suggestions for any places in tbe eastern area. 

Regards,

Don

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to work on more nymph and streamer presentation. Dry fly is my preference but I need to get deeper to where the fish are as I find the dry action to be quite limited. 

I am a bit clumsy with the increased mass of streamers and nymphs, I will be working on getting over that.

If anyone has some suggestion, I'd be grateful.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

More experimentation time this year, vs. just going with the tried-and-true that I know works.

On stillwaters, I want to try some floating leech patterns this year, fished on a full-sink line and short leader, sort of booby-style (but slower, of course).

Balanced leeches under the indicator are very effective, but I'd like to try some buoyant leech patterns like this to see whether staying within a short distance off the bottom, particularly where the depth is varying, makes any difference.

I tied some up this weekend with a foam head and underbody, to give this a try this spring.

• Like 1