Fly Fusion Forums

Elk Valley and selenium

jgib01

(A little surprised no one has posted this yet... maybe it is here somewhere and I just missed it.)

Perhaps this isn't really news to anyone, as I've heard about these concerns before.  But here's an interesting read/watch about selenium in the Elk Valley, done by an environmental protection research group. Print article contains a video link as well.

https://thenarwhal.ca/for-decades-b-c-failed-to-address-selenium-pollution-in-the-elk-valley-now-no-one-knows-how-to-stop-it/ 

I appreciate the economic importance of Teck to the region, so hopefully they can find a way to mitigate this issue, but quick. Not sure where the mine proposal is at for Crowsnest Pass these days, but it certainly raises alarm bells for me about potential mine impacts this side of the divide too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And Teck is in the process of opening another mine in the valley, go figure. The authors claim that the Elk River caught cutthroat in the photo is likely a hybrid is somewhat misleading. Visual confirmation of genetic purity is highly inaccurate in the absence of DNA sampling.  

11 hours ago, monger said:

Selenium also significantly decreases the endurance of muscle tissue. This makes a slow, rolling Cutt even lazier when you hook him

So that’s why cutties are so lame?!

I caught one in the bull river missing 3/4 a gill plate like in the photo.  But at least in the kootenays, most still have their lips.

• Sad 1