Fly Fusion Forums

Study shows precipitous decline in population of adult rainbow trout in Bow River

3 hours ago, danhunt said:

This line in the report stuck out to me;

"The pattern of decline in adult abundance in the LBR appears similar to declines in other high-profile Rainbow Trout fisheries caused by Whirling Disease."

My understanding is that the parasite and the resulting whirling disease mostly affect young fish of a size that aren't often targeted, or even caught by most anglers.  Limiting angler effort could, in some measure, protect the adult fish and possibly allow more to spawn but would this have an appreciable impact on the number of young trout that survive the disease and live to produce the next generation?  Also, if the rainbows in the Bow aren't native (but naturalized) could introducing a strain like the Hofer rainbows that have shown a higher level of resistance to the parasite be possible, and if so would this help the population recover faster? 

Nah, I think closing it for 5 years makes more sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

This new study shows a decline of "all" sports fish in the Bow. I have noticed the decline in whitefish and adult rainbows. The browns, however,  have seemed to recover very well after the 2013 flood. However, the 2018 study is not good news at all for the river.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bowbonehead said:

Perhaps its time to think about a seasonal closure on the Bow like there is on all the tributaries.... maybe give the fish a break in the winter and at spawning time......

Ya I still don’t follow their logic after they made it catch and release bait ban.  “Well we took those two things away, let’s give them open all year to smooth things over.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverDoctor said:

"Fly Fishing only" would also go a long way plus more signs about rules to the general public. Poaching is a problem and more public education on subjects like the no bait rule is important. it would educate the general nonfishing public and get more eyes on the water.  

Like “real” fly fishing only?  No bobbers?! 

• Like 1

As we move toward regulation changes it will be interesting to see what comes about. I have a concern about the "stakeholders" that the government will canvas for suggestions. I remember in BC when all this kind of talk happened that it was the guiding industry that had the biggest voice. When the motivation for concern has a significant link to money, then we as the public better be very aware of what is being talked about and how new regulations will affect us.

I bring this up after watching what happened with the Wigwam. It started with concern about pressure on the Bull trout. Initially it was a "Fly fishing only" stream (no bobbers/weights added). But then that changed.....why? Why make it easier to catch them (better for guiding clients). Then there is new regulations brought in to financially exclude non-residents by adding the classified licences. Then they bring in the rules where you have to book a time to fish as a non-resident. It would seem there is a concern about the fish.....yet they actually INCREASED the number of rod days for the guiding industry. When folks get excluded so a "special" interest group can claim a profit off a public resource there is a problem. 

Regulation changes around the steelhead fishery were also heavily influenced by the guiding industry.

I am not against some guiding on the Bow. I will be speaking up though when my access is limited so that a wealthy dude from New York/or a guide who actually lives in Arizona can come. There is significant value to Albertans derived from the Bow that is not measured in dollars and cents.

It would not be fair to make the Bow fly rod fishing only. There are lots of folks using spin rods. Perhaps a move to single hooks (rather that trebles) would cut down on tissue damage though.

Self limiting fishing techniques is certainly something to consider if we continue to see a reduction in rainbow numbers. I hear fish can actually be caught without a bobber

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FraserN said:

This new study shows a decline of "all" sports fish in the Bow. I have noticed the decline in whitefish and adult rainbows. The browns, however,  have seemed to recover very well after the 2013 flood. However, the 2018 study is not good news at all for the river.

This fall was good for me - many whities, a few browns and better than my average for fall bows.  The spring and summer had the whities only rarely, frequent big healthy browns and only a few (albeit healthy and strong ) bows.  Only infrequent tiddler browns.  Nymphing,  same spots as prior years.  

Goes to show that anecdotal info can be unreliable.  

A side note - noticed quite a few of the 16+ browns and bows had what to me appeared to be pelican damage - cuts and slashes.  Didnt see any such on the whities or the small trout.

Im with monger. No way i would support flyfishing only in the Bow ever. But definitely would argue one hook only and no trebles. Probably going to be a time many of us oldsters wont be able to cast a fly rod re: balance in water etc etc.. But would still like to be be able to get out there with a spinning rod which  much easier to fish with as one gets older.

1 hour ago, reset said:

Im with monger. No way i would support flyfishing only in the Bow ever. But definitely would argue one hook only and no trebles. Probably going to be a time many of us oldsters wont be able to cast a fly rod re: balance in water etc etc.. But would still like to be be able to get out there with a spinning rod which  much easier to fish with as one gets older.

Also the young kids just learning the ways of fishing and how to cast.I would agree on single barbless.I usually just cut two prongs off for the kids and remove the barb.You certainly miss more fish but that’s fishing with kids.