Fly Fusion Forums

Vote Day Olympics .yes/no

1 hour ago, 1961flyman said:

Every day for the last week I have had robocalls from the YES VOTE..

Just received one From **** Face Nenshi to vote yes. 

**** this BULLSHIT..

This is not a Democracy..

VOTE NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how is it not?

Just saying “VOTE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!“ Doesn't really help anyone. 

Thing that’s got me bothered is that they want to “update” the saddledome.  What a waste of money.  If there was a time to build a new arena, it’s if the olympics were here. 

That being said, I’m still on the fence.

No was my vote.

The majority of council voted not to proceed but since a super majority was required the plebiscite was not killed. If the people with the true bid info don't want to move forward it makes no sense to move forward.

The economics don't add up. The whole bid process seems rushed. I don't see how spending money refurbishing existing out dated facilities makes sense. I've always been told that fixing old cost more than building new. That does not seem fiscally prudent. That said I don't want new facilities being built either. And you just know somehow a new hockey arena will end up being part of the games. Guaranteed.

Holding the ski jumping and nordic combined events in Whistler? I believe the savings for this has been indicated at $40 million. I find it hard to believe that on a $5.1 billion budget you can't come up with the additional $40 million to create a new jumping site that can be used for the games and in the future. I heard the father of an elite jumper staying it didn't make sense to have only 1 decent facility in the entire country.

There is no reason to get into a relationship with a very corrupt organization like the IOC. The IOC completely backtracked on letting Russia back into the fold even though it did not meet the conditions to its drug testing and drug lab to return. That is very very telling about the IOC. $$$$$$

I don't buy the argument that Calgary is so good at planning that there would never be a cost overrun so don't worry about it. But just in case we're going to spend $20 million on an insurance policy that will cover up to $200 million of overruns. Apparently this insurance policy does not currently exist so how do they know the premium?

When people say the money should be spent on other things not sporting venues etc. The standard response is that without the games there is no money - and i get that. How about the politicians get off their butts and come up with plans and proposals for infrastructure needed for the city and try to leverage provincial and federal money. Don't we need hospitals, schools, more soccer fields and community arenas? Roads, transit? Arts venues? The kinds of things that benefit everyone in the city and make the city a better place to live work and play.

Too much of the Yes side argument is that it's been so hard for Calgary since the recession that we need a project like this to rally citizens, feel good, revitalize our spirits etc etc. I'm not even going justify these types of arguments with a counter argument.

I have asked and asked and have found no one who could provide me with any convincing arguments are the city, provincial and federal taxpayers should fund the Olympics at this time.

No 2026.jpg