Fly Fusion Forums

Drift boat in Winchell Lake?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a drift boat on a trailer into Winchell Lake? I'm looking at options not too far from Calgary to take my youngster fishing this weekend and I can't tell from the Google Maps image if there's a ramp or suitable spot to put in. A quick Google search didn't tell me anything definitive either way.

Thanks!

There is a small launch spot for boats, but no suitable ramp for launching, just a muddy launch spot. All boats that ive seen go in there are lifted off trucks/trailers and placed into the launch. Its muddy at the launch so im guessing a trailer backing down into it wouldn't be so fun. Probably doable though. So depends on the size of your boat i guess? Ive seen many people with small aluminum boats and trolling motors in the lake

The nice thing about Winchell is if you have a pair of rubber boots you can access pretty much the entire lake - there is a ring of muskeg that is solid enough to walk on that goes around the whole thing.  The launch is pretty much just a swath cut out of the muskeg and as FF mentioned it is muddy.  Launching the boat would probably be OK, but I'd be worried about getting the loaded trailer back out of that loon sh!t.