Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Shampoo

Probably some dickwad washing his luxury sports vehicle in his driveway. Or pressure washing his house. I saw a neighbor of mine doing that a month ago or so. He was washing his Mercedes with a bucket full of detergent and his hose. I mentioned to him that the effluent goes directly from his driveway into the storm sewer and then into the river. He just looked at me like I was from outer space. You know they educated the school children with the yellow fish program, maybe they should do that with the BIG kids.

• Like 3

Yeah in a coin or automatic car wash the effluent goes into the sanitary sewer, then treated. My neighbor had the big bucket of soapy water and the sponge there was literally foam three inches deep on his shiny metal box. All running down the driveway then down to the corner storm sewer which is about 2m away from the Elbow.

19 hours ago, threepwood said:

I've certainly considered this when washing (or, more's the case, not washing) my car. What would be the most responsible way to handle the suds/rinsewater from washing cars and other things that don't fit in your house?

If you have one, park your car on your lawn and wash it there.  The soap won't hurt the grass and if the lawn is more than a couple of years old the sod will be thick enough to handle your vehicle.  I wash my GMC 1500 this way and have never hurt the lawn nor have I ever put the soapy water down a storm drain doing this.  

• Like 1