Fly Fusion Forums

Anybody else notice the changes

Folks,

i've fished the Oldman River for something over 50 years and watched the changes. From the constant signs of land destruction, the loving sounds of quads and dirt bikes, from the villages of squatters things have changed big time.

Damn but am I impressed. Only took a couple of years to change. Was it hard, must have been. Only took 50 years. 

Big trouble for where I live though. The herd will go somewhere.

Don

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Don, yup noticed the same the week after opening. Raggedy Ass Road was empty. Zilch. Nada. Love it.

I did see a few of quads. We were interviewed on-water by a couple 'kids' form ACA I think about fishing, our gear, our boots, if we knew about the clean drain dry initiative etc.

We asked about the OHVs and told new only a few days prior so they were expecting some 'failure to comply'.

The 4 guys I saw down a track - with truck, trailer and another truck with quads off-loaded were a bit 'rough' for an old fart accompanied by wife and dog to try to 'edumacate'.

I'd personally love to see OHVs banned province wide, for recreational purposes. Need for work (surveyors etc) or farm, fine. Except, of course, for 'purpose built' OHV 'parks' where anything goes. Ya wanna get dirty, there's the place for that.

• Like 5

My seasonal campsite at Dutch Creek backs onto the "Dutch Creek" road. For years I would hear the quads zipping up and down that road. Now they can't quad on that road and it is so quiet!! Much appreciated!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mkm said:

Great to hear of the changes. I tried to find some information on the changes and came up empty. Has anyone seen anything officially published?  

Here ya go:

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-public-use/recreation-on-public-land/public-land-use-zones/livingstone-pluz.aspx

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-public-use/recreation-on-public-land/public-land-use-zones/

LivingstonePLUZMap-May14-2018.pdf

• Like 2

I noticed in a big way. We arrived at Castle Falls campground at 6 Friday night to be shut out for a camp site, that's the first time that's ever happened!! On to Castle Bridge, also full. The only exception was if we wanted to go online and "reserve" a site that was sitting empty right in front of us. Onward we went back into Lynx and although there was still a lot of random camping going on, not a single quad or dirtbike to be seen or heard all weekend and the rivers rain clear and clean the entire time as well. Was great to have some peace and quiet up there for once and hopefully every other time from here on out.

Still some folks driving sidebysides and dirt bikes up the Oldman....and lots of machines were showing up today. A bridge was being installed over the river to access the one designated trail. If an officer shows up this weekend there will be lots to do with "educating" the motor-loving public.

ACA is roving the area doing surveys

• 10 months later...