Fly Fusion Forums

insole options for wading boots?

Anyone have experience using different "therapeutic" type insoles in their wading boots?  I'm currently struggling with foot issues, including Achilles pain (have never fully recovered from injuries from hiking last fall), and now some metatarsalgia pain in one foot.  Both seem to get significantly worse after a day on the water.  I'm hoping I might be able to find something on the retail market vs going the route of full custom orthotics.

Jason,

I have had good luck with a "ridged footbed" (Superfeet, etc.), but with Metatarsal pain, your best bet will probably be a custom orthotic (research is all over the place with those), but I have had fairly good results after many appts to adjust (though I DO NOT wear them in my wading boots) I got half the cost covered through my benefits at work. Not sure how a custom orthotic would last getting wet all the time...

I do know that SIMMS makes a rigid type foot bed but they are probably fairly expensive compared to the Superfeet brand...

In my opinion/exp, with your symptoms, the easiest and least expensive option would be go to the local drug store and and grab a set of "metatarsal pads" (rubber as opposed to felt) and glue one in on your current footbed inside your wading boot (in the spot where there is pain), and then go from there... Just be careful putting your foot in and out of that boot so you don't tear it out...

P

If you go the metatarsal pad route use lipstick to mark your metatarsal heads 

and then Stand on your insole. place the pad behind your marks. If you are worried about it peeling off put the left one one the underside of the right Insole and right one one the underside of the other one.

wayne

image.jpg