Fly Fusion Forums

Recommended Pontoon Boats

It's been a long time since I've posted in here (years actually), but I'm in the market for an inflatable pontoon boat. Ordered one off Amazon, a Colorado XTS that's backordered. I'm not sure if they can even bring this model in anymore. Who's using what out there, and what do you recommend? I'm looking for something 9 feet long and I already have a 30lb thrust electric and battery box.

Thanks - Mike

I've had an Outcast Fishcat 9' for over 10 years now.  I like it.  It is equipped with a motor mount.  I tried it at Maligne Lake a few times.  By the time you add the weight of the electric (not sure about the thrust) and the battery, it was weighed down pretty goon.  Shortly after, I had a few pin holes in my bladder, which the Fishin' Hole in Edmonton kindly replaced.  But, I figured the bladder leaks were the result of all the extra weight from those trips.  Can't be sure but that's my rationale.  So, although that pontoon is equipped with a motor mount, I won't put an electric on there again.  Although, I think not all electrics weigh the same, right?  Other than that, love the boat.  Good for lakes.  Floated the Bow and Red Deer rivers with it too.

Good luck.

I also have a Outcast 9' boat.  They're sold locally so getting replacement bladders and stuff is easy.  I really, really wanted a Dave Scadden boat, but if I had trouble with it, it would of been difficult to deal with someone out of the States and getting parts may have taken longer than getting a Outcast, so got the Outcast. No problems with it. 

Just cancelled my order for the Colorado, looking at the Fish Cat Panther 9' from the Fishin Hole. How about accessories - noticed the unit does not come with rod holders or anchor system. Can you get these from the Fishin Hole as well?

There is a scadden pontoon on kijiji for 800$ those boats are some of the best out there. There is also one on this forum for 600$ which is a steal

Please view this ad:

Dave scadden pontoon boat skycomish sunrise ,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping-outdoor/calgary/dave-scadden-pontoon-boat-skycomish-sunrise/1361480705?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

I bought a 13 year old Outcast Fish Cat Streamer 8 ft pontoon a couple of years ago and did not have any problems.  I used a 30 lb Minn Kota on it with a smaller 35 A-hr battery.  The smaller battery lasts 1.5 to 2 hours at med. speeds and is fine for changing locations.  I'd get a bigger battery if doing a lot of trolling.  I didn't have any issues at all using the motor.  I had to order a few replacements items from Outcast and the turnaround was very quick - exchange rate sucked!   I found Outcast to be a great company to deal with.  I also put a Launching Gear wheel on the pontoon which was really useful in moving the pontoon, motor, battery from the truck to boat launch as a single unit.

Another option to consider is a frameless inflatable pontoon like the Fish Cat Scout or Stealth Pro, both from Outcast.  Scadden has some nice looking models as well, but I had the same concerns mentioned above about service if needed.   I got a great deal on a barely used Fish Cat Scout last spring and sold my Streamer.  The big attraction for my 60 year back was that the frameless Scout is 1/2 the weight of the Streamer with its metal frame - 30 lbs vs 60 lbs.  I have seen guys using the Scout on the Bow although I haven't tried it yet.  If you have to inflate/ deflate the frameless pontoon each day, you might want to consider a 12 vt high volume pump.

You can buy an optional motor mount for the Stealth Pro.  I fabricated a motor mount for my Scout from 1-1/4" PVC pipe/fittings and that has worked fine the last 2 years for lake fishing in Manitoba.  I using the same Minn Kota/battery that I had on the Streamer.  I made a simple steering systems from a couple ropes attached to pipe hanger on the motor shaft.  

I've used the same strap-on mounts for my ODC 420 float tube, Fish Cat Streamer pontoon and now my Fish Cat Scout pontoon.  Scotty make a nice strap-on mount that can be used for a rod holder or an anchor lock. I have a separate strap-on mount for each.  I use a Humminbird Fishin Buddy sonar and Humminbird's strap-on holder seems to be the best for that unit.  I've been using my 2 lb Outcast Float Tube anchor for all three boats as well.  There are lots of cheap anchor solutions including a simple bag you fill with rocks.    I ended up getting a cheap Lucky Strike landing net from Canadian Tire that had an extendable handle.  The extra length has worked great on both the Scout and the Streamer.  Fishin Hole would be a good place to start for the strap on mounts, anchors, etc.  Scotty mounts, etc. are also available on Amazon.

http://www.outcastboats.com/accessories/float-tube-anchor.asp

Ken

2L Rear.JPG