Fly Fusion Forums

Consistent catch of Browns over 28"

monger

Saw this on the other provincial forum. Anyone else experience this kind of results. Very impressive:

Fishing the Bow River for big Brown Trout is a long living passion for me.
Early in the season, I drift Bow River Buggers slowly through the fishes over wintering spots.
Size 2 and 4.
I also use Clouser Minnows and other large Streamers.
Early on in the season, I use a slow retrieve.
I have caught many Browns over 28" every year for almost 40 years.
From Dry Fly Caddis fishing to pounding the banks.

Hahaha. Sounds like Jimmy needs a measuring tape. The ever humbling tape usually shrinks a fish by a few inches. Very few honest 28”ers out there. If I get a couple bow river browns in a season over 24, 25 I consider I’ve done well, and I’m a dedicated streamer junkie. Or maybe I just suck at fishing. 

18 minutes ago, DonAndersen said:

Guys,

while i"vet only caught two Browns of that size over the past 50 years, I've watched others do so. 

Perhaps he is one of those.

Don

Yearly? In this day and age, any 28 or above brown trout would be so splattered over the internet, and undoubtedly a guide would have stumbled into them at least a couple times a year. Catching ‘many’ a year... right 

Yearly? In this day and age, any 14 or above brown trout would be so splattered over the internet, and undoubtedly a guide would have stumbled into them at least a couple times a year. Catching ‘many’ a year... right 

fixed it for for you

• Haha 2

I consider myself an honest fisherman, in that I don't consciously try to inflate the size or number of fish that I catch.  That said, I'm always genuinely surprised to see that my best "conservative estimates" of a fishes weight or length are consistently about 20% higher than what the tape or scale will show. 

That said, even if I give Jimi the benefit of the doubt and assume he's talking about 22" - 24" broonies (still damned nice fish), I have to think that "many" really translates to "more than two".