Fly Fusion Forums

Heard some words yesterday...

at the Westslope Cutthroat Trout Workshop that I never thought I hear from a AEP biologist in my lifetime....., the piscicide rotenone and how it is used

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taco said:

yup

Forgot to ask for a population estimate on pure strains left and criteria for defining pure strain.  

They don't have any population numbers for anything. The numbers have been asked for and none were supplied. Their definition of pure strain is greater or equal to 99% and it's determined by pulling some fish and mapping their genome.

1 hour ago, Bron said:

Are they planning on nuking anything?

Heh, I could be such a $#!+ disturber and say "yeah, the Bow and Highwood". They presented it more as something they're looking at, but didn't say it actually will happen or where. The context around it was similar similar projects in the States that they've been watching. Find a pure strain population upstream from a hybridized population that has a barrier between them. The hybridized population should have a barrier below it as well to separate them from other hybrids. Nuke hybrids then transplant some pure strains into that stretch.

• Like 1

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/species-at-risk/species-at-risk-publications-web-resources/fish/documents/SAR-WestslopeCutthroatTrout-RecoveryPlan-A-Mar2013.pdf

2.6.2 Present Abundance

According to the latest recovery plan the estimated population of remaining 99% pure cutthroat In Alberta consists of 51 separate populations of fish each containing an average of 100 breeding age fish for a total of roughly 5100 99% purestrain cutthroats left. Based on the experts notion that it takes a minimum of  200 breeding fish to become a self sustaining population i would suspect we will see stream closures in the very near future. 

-Not sure of the Rotenone thing as I've never heard of it being used in flowing water.  

-I started trying to read the attached Recovery plan, but when i got to the part about no whirling disease in Alberta i quit as who knows when it was written.

-Perhaps they should spend less time writing huge theoretical reports and get out of Edmonton and do some field work.

-When push comes to shove, they'll penalize anglers and close it to fishing while allowing logging and oil companies to continue screwing up the creeks and rivers.

My $.02 but hey I've been wrong before

BK

• Like 1

-You're getting as sceptical as me Burnsie, that's the old plan they are required to do a new one every 5 yrs and the new one is due "soon". 

But after that workshop update I am actually somewhat hopefull

-'mericans been using rotenone in flowing waters for species recovery for quite a few yrs.

BTW I'm still fishin' that $75 RPL you found me. I got Colin to put a new grip on it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Taco said:

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/species-at-risk/species-at-risk-publications-web-resources/fish/documents/SAR-WestslopeCutthroatTrout-RecoveryPlan-A-Mar2013.pdf

2.6.2 Present Abundance

According to the latest recovery plan the estimated population of remaining 99% pure cutthroat In Alberta consists of 51 separate populations of fish each containing an average of 100 breeding age fish for a total of roughly 5100 99% purestrain cutthroats left. Based on the experts notion that it takes a minimum of  200 breeding fish to become a self sustaining population i would suspect we will see stream closures in the very near future. 

Interestingly the 2007 population estimate was 7000 fish. Makes me wonder what the number will be the 2018-2022 recovery plan 

Rotenone has been used in flowing water.

I wonder if there are any rainbows above the falls on the Oldman. That is the kind of spot they could pour in some rotenone and restock with pure Cutts.

I think there are some places in the States where they created some fish barriers and started over again with pure fish

I never caught a obvious 'bow cross above the falls and I've fished it plenty over the last 50 yrs but who knows, the old stocking reports were spotty as best so it's down to DNA testing. The latest maps that I've looked at has from the falls up marked as Critical Habitat.