Fly Fusion Forums

Kayak Fishing

ksnow

Hey Guys,

I'm looking into getting a fishing kayak and want to hear some opnions for everyone. I'm going to be looking to use the kayak for floating the bow and fishing in lakes. Probably 50/50 plit between the bow and lakes. I was looking at getting a hobie pro angler 12. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with floating the bow while fly fishing from a kayak or if anyone has used the hobie before. Appreciate everyones replies.

So, first of all, I have never fished out of a kayak so I could be all wet on this but here is my impression.  I have floated many times and fished from my pontoon.  It seems to me that a kayak is more sleek than a pontoon and would float significantly faster.  One thing I try to do is slow my pontoon down by constantly rowing upstream to slow the boat down.  when you do catch a fish, it is very much a struggle to land big, hard fighting trout and trying to get to shore all while fighting the current and other obstructions.

It might be a fun float but my guess is fishing at the same time could result in frustration.  Once again though, keep in mind that I'm viewing this from one perspective only.  I would be interested to hear others views on this.

• Like 1

Borrowed a Hobie with the pedal-drive and was very impressed with the power of that drive system which leaves hands free for fishing. You do, however, need stay aware to retract the penguin like flippers when in shallow (18") water to avoid contact with bottom. Good stability and lots of compartments / add - on attachments available.

15 hours ago, ÜberFly said:

Why a Kayak over a pontoon? Just curious...

Peter

Free hands would be my main reason. Could us the pedal drive in reverse to slow down when you get a fish and stay stationary without having to fiddle with oars or anything of the like. Plus I can use the kayak to just paddle around as well on lakes with my friends. More gear storage on a kayak too and you can get around a lot faster I would assume.

• Like 1

Interesting Topic.
I used to spend time fishing on the West Coast out of a Sea Kayak when I was growing up.
Since then there has been a huge rise in the popularity of Kayak fishing, .  I've only fished out of one kayak with a peddle drive so I can't comment on the specific models mentioned above.

However, I think I can offer a bit of advice on the whole goal of "hands-free, while still being able to control your boat".

At one time I had a great big framed pontoon which was terrible for floats.  It was too hard to kick fast enough to slow down the drift or pull over when fighting a fish.  It was super difficult to maneuver and would easily get caught by the wind.  It worked better on lakes but was still cumbersome. 

Since then I bought a small frameless pontoon and it has been absolutely awesome.  I bought the Fish Cat Scout and have now traded up for the Outcast Stealth Pro which offers just a bit more room for my very long legs.  A good buddy has an older frameless Scadden which he really likes as well.  In all these boats you sit closer to the water which allows you to kick way more efficiently.  The oars fold down against the pontoons and remain out of the way.  With these boats you can control your drift quite easily with your fins while you fish, or ferry across the river if needed while fighting a fish.  The guys that fish from Watermasters or some of the other Scadden products probably find similar advantages.

To me, the peddle-drive kayak might work but I think you'd have to constantly be reaching down for the rudder handle to make steering adjustments.  With an ultra-maneuverable frameless pontoon, you can kick pretty fast, spin on a dime and be truly hands-free.

If you want something a little more sleek looking, the OSG Commander looks pretty interesting.

Just my two cents...

• Like 1

Did you catch the Orvis podcast earlier this month on kayak fly fishing?  They had a guy from Jackson kayaks on, I believe.  Haven't got around to listening yet myself, but it may have some good relevant info.  Should be linked in the blog feed forum.

Couple of things.No How To Right Yourselve..Take some classes,i see them teaching out a Bowness Park on the Bow..I have seen 2 guys use them things,on openwater lakes1 guy is dead[drown],other guy sold his..Mrs Andersen does it the right way,goes for the excersise.

• Like 1

Yah I caught the orvis podcast, but im looking for a peddle drive and them mainly talked about the mayfly which isnt. I can see reaching down to move the rudder, but still would be much easier to do than have to paddle with one hand while fighting the fish. Gotta find somehwere with some more reviews on river fishing with kayaks.

My wife uses an inflatable kayak. Stable and readily paddled. You will need a skeg on lakes. 

We chose an inflatable kayak  as she can load it, paddle it and Morty the Mutt can wander around without dumping it. 

There is no ready anchor points however.

Don