Fly Fusion Forums

Country Pleasures

Sad day. I can remember going to the original 37 street SW location. ‘79-‘80. Drooling over Far and Fines, CFO’s etc and not being able to afford them. It was a real, dedlicated fly shop, the first of many to come locally. Many of the customers, and staff, from that era have passed on. 

Thanks Mike and staff for carrying the torch and keeping it going for so long after Jim and Neil left, and all the best.

• Like 3

Country Pleasures was the catalyst of my love of fly fishing.  Whenever I needed something new to me (a first trip to the salt or to get started tying), I went to Country Pleasures.  Their advice and wisdom was the most consistent.  I went in on Saturday for a restock to bare walls.  This feels like a break-up.

I cannot believe it is gone.

Stupid Country Pleasures.

I guess that means I can see other stores---they probably are good too.  I mean, someplace else has to sell Dai Riki hooks.

I will work through DEPRESSION and ACCEPTANCE later.

Best wishes.

• Like 2

Wow an institution is gone.

Ah the old days of Don Cahoon telling you to get a map and that the brown lines are roads and the blue lines are rivers/creeks. Follow a brown line until is crosses a blue line and start fishing.

And the generous wisdom of Jim MacLennan and Neil Jennings. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coltenwright93 said:

That's unfortunate, I was gifted a gift certificate for country pleasures that was purchased just 2 weeks ago. I wish there had been a word of warning of the closure so I could have used it

Yes I just had a colleague at work tell me that she bought her husband a gift certificate for Christmas for a learn to fly fish day. I hope there is some way to honour those!

Not really surprised on the closing.  Great people but over the years whenever I would go in there no one else would be in the store.  It always felt so empty with customers.  Not like going to Fish Tales or Out fly shop etc.  You going into those shops and there was always other customers in the store.  

The other thing as well with a struggling economy that were in I can't see the need for the amount of fly shops we already have here in Calgary.  And you hear in the news that we are coming out of this slump.  Bull *hit we are with stores like Wholesale, Sears, CP, etc. closing doors.  And not to mention oil companies still laying off.

In the end it is still very sad to see because I did like to venture that shop every so often and staff with great knowledge and helpful. 

Wasn't there much but Jim, Neil and staff were highly encouraging when I was getting back into fishin' and tyin' many moons ago . And bought my last pair of guide boots and g3 waders from Mike. Sad but time and change marches on and waits for exactly no one.

• Like 1