Fly Fusion Forums

Strike indicator

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:03 AM, bigbowtrout said:

I used it when I was in NZ since you can't use thingamabobers over there.  It's pretty slick and worked very well. Couple local shops had them in stock.

you can't use them over there??
I didn't use them, but I had them with me and was planning on using them for exceptionally deep runs.
thanks for the heads up.

I've used this NZ strike indicator and wasn't overly impressed for the way I wanted to use it.

I was fishing to a sighted fish in maybe 2 ft of water.

I'm trying to get better by sight nymphing without a dry or indicator like the NZ guys do, so I started without any indicator
and waited for the fish to move off station, intercept the fly, look for the white of the mouth and strike.

Well I was struggling so I put one of these onto the 3x section of the leader, maybe 3-4ft up the leader (fishing 4x rio tippet).
It seems like the perfect application for this kind of indicator.

Unfortunately, 3x is too thin for this to hold. No matter how I tried to wedge the indicator into position, it kept slipping down to the tippet knot.

It became a pain so I got rid of it.

It may work on the butt of a leader, but it wont work closer to the fly where you want a shorter dropper

4 hours ago, sldrose said:

you can't use them over there??

I only fished the Taupo area so I'm not 100% sure on the rest of NZ

"Strike indicators

When you use a stike indicator, you can add only a dye or line floatant.

A strike indicator is any synthetic or natural yarn and its means of attachment to the line or cast used by the person fishing as an aid to detecting a strike. It does not include any other material or any other object attached to the line or cast, or any synthetic or natural yarn to which has been added any material or chemical (other than a colour dye or surfactant line flotant preparation)."

http://www.nzfishing.com/Regulations/RegulationsTaupo.htm

• 2 months later...

I tried them out nymphing for a while, and found they became saturated pretty fast, no matter how much gel/dip/wax I used. Really nice to cast, though.

As TroutPanther posted, if you have to get deeper, and move the indicator, it can be a real pain. Still have the package in my sling pack, however, so might try them again. :)

-M. 

Ever since i fished in NZ in 1997 I've been using wool indicator for all light nymphing. I make a slip knot loop in the leader and put the wool in that. Pull tight and Bob's your uncle. Doesn't really work for much weight as it is pulled under too quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here is another gimmick sure to catch more fishermen than flies .  Yarn indicators have been around for decades, the only difference here is a flashy tool to add a plastic tube to secure(?) the yarn (and extract dollars from your wallet).  I tie yarn to a tiny rubber O-ring and add and remove that at will with no knots.