Fly Fusion Forums

Vibram soles

Recently spent the whopping 250 for some new wading boots.

Simms boa system Vibram soles.

love the boa , really allot easier to get off and on etc.

problem is the Vibram is really quite awful ! On dry rock no problem with traction, get in the water and it's like your on marbles. I'm going to crash hard , I know it . There is really no traction at all. 

Im thinking putting studs on but don't really want to as I own a boat and am in several other boats through the season.

is there some low profile studs ? 

Not impressed.

Really? My buddy tried out his new G3 vibrams yesterday on the bow and said he was impressed. I Didn't ask, but maybe he just had really low expectations haha

his plan was to put studs in them anyways and keep the felts for the boat  but let us know how it works out for you as I Was going to do the same thing

I went from felt to the rubber Simms used to have (Aquastealth maybe?) to Vibram. The first Vibrams were not great and I ended up studding them but I've worn the newer G3s and Vapors all over - Bow, Crow, Oldman, Elk, Skeena, Kanektok - without any problems. Maybe it's been so long since I've worn felt that I adjusted my wading style or something.

Hmm

ive only worn them on bow so far, in the shallows mainly, rocks are covered in that green brown scum, the slime on rocks may be the problem.

Whatever the case may be I'm really having trouble getting any grip, any kind of cobble that is baseball size or bigger and I'm out of controll.

I recently bought some Redington Prowlers.  I did a couple of outings without any studs, and found them also pretty lacking in traction, so loaded them up with Kold Kutters.  I'm not sure you will find studs that won't mark to any extent.  The in&out of boats thing sounds like a challenge if you are doing any combination of wading/floating... is that your scenario?  I have a second set of cheapo non-studded boots I use for my float tube (which should last forever), but that might not be the solution for you.

I have had the studded vibram soled Guide boots for the last 4-5 yrs. I may(??) get another yrs out of them but when I do replace then I will buy vibram again and stud them. I also have bought a cheaper pair of wading boots without studs for use with kich fins with my frameless pontoon while stillwater fishing. Same idea could work for fishing' out of a boat unless you're all stuck on wearing the same logo from head to toe.

YMMV

12 hours ago, Taco said:

I have had the studded vibram soled Guide boots for the last 4-5 yrs. I may(??) get another yrs out of them but when I do replace then I will buy vibram again and stud them. I also have bought a cheaper pair of wading boots without studs for use with kich fins with my frameless pontoon while stillwater fishing. Same idea could work for fishing' out of a boat unless you're all stuck on wearing the same logo from head to toe.

YMMV

Seems like sound advise to me . I'll stud em and use other boots when I need to boat.

may visit Calgary fasteners and see what they have. Say some old articles on Spey pages about different studs guys have gone with. I may just raid the bolt bin , grind heads down a bit and go with that.

thanks all.

3 hours ago, eagleflyfisher said:

Seems like sound advise to me . I'll stud em and use other boots when I need to boat.

may visit Calgary fasteners and see what they have. Say some old articles on Spey pages about different studs guys have gone with. I may just raid the bolt bin , grind heads down a bit and go with that.

thanks all.

If you aren't opposed to buying something online, I'd recommend the Kold Kutters; they can be had on eBay for $20 US for a pack of 250.

I'm trying to decided between the Kold Kutters and these (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-086/Boot-Traction-Stud-Kit). I like the thread pattern of the MEC ones, but I think the downside is the hole they would create would limit using something else if one wanted to replace a lost stud with say a Kold Kutter...

I have used both the Patagonia (aluminum hex screws) and Simms hard bite studs. The Patagonia wear out pretty quickly (not worth the $ money they charge when you can go to Home Depot and buy the exact same thing - thank goodness for prodeals) and the Simms are just too expensive and pretty much last one season of hard use (a lot of similar feedback online)!! LOVED the Lugs that I bought with my gen 1 Korker Guide boots those were awesome!!

Thoughts/opinions?

• Like 1

Hodgman has a couple new boot systems out with interchangeable soles. They twist and lock in the system is WAY better than the korker system and the boots are bomb proof with great support. They are new this year and a redesign of their old boots. Their old boots were pretty crappy. They really got it right on the new design. They dont shrink when dry either. 

I bought the Simms Freestones with the vibram soles and they were totally useless until I put the Simms Starcleats in them. Problem is, it cost another $50-60 for the cleats and I"ve already had one come out. The rest are all loose but so far haven't fallen out. Contacted Simms and followed their instructions to re-install them putting Aquaseal on the threads and they just came loose again. They want me to ship them the boots (at my expense) to see if there is a defect, but I think I'm just going to consider it a lost investment. 

On October 3, 2017 at 6:28 PM, ÜberFly said:

I'm trying to decided between the Kold Kutters and these (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-086/Boot-Traction-Stud-Kit). I like the thread pattern of the MEC ones, but I think the downside is the hole they would create would limit using something else if one wanted to replace a lost stud with say a Kold Kutter...

I have used both the Patagonia (aluminum hex screws) and Simms hard bite studs. The Patagonia wear out pretty quickly (not worth the $ money they charge when you can go to Home Depot and buy the exact same thing - thank goodness for prodeals) and the Simms are just too expensive and pretty much last one season of hard use (a lot of similar feedback online)!! LOVED the Lugs that I bought with my gen 1 Korker Guide boots those were awesome!!

Thoughts/opinions?

I like the thread on the KK , easier install ? Less of a hole as you stated .

i didn't check but does Simms offer a factory studded boot. Had I know these pretty much are crap I would have got studs from beginning..

12 hours ago, eagleflyfisher said:

i didn't check but does Simms offer a factory studded boot. Had I know these pretty much are crap I would have got studs from beginning..

Think it's just a nature of the Bow..this year seems particularly nasty for wading

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aphelps said:

Has anyone ever used regular aluminum hex screws for studs?  They are only ~$3 for 20 at the hardware store.  Wonder how these would work before spending $40-50 on 'specialty' studs. 

This is what I was saying with the Patagonia ones... They work well, but don't last long (I got a bit longer life from the Simms - but still not worth the $ in my opinion). The other issue is the hole that they make - you will end up losing anything else you might use in the future (KK or Simms) b/c they have a smaller diameter thread... So if you buy 100 pack, then you can swap out as they wear. Definitely better value buying from a Hardware store. Might get better life from KK or the MEC ones?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aphelps said:

Has anyone ever used regular aluminum hex screws for studs?  They are only ~$3 for 20 at the hardware store.  Wonder how these would work before spending $40-50 on 'specialty' studs. 

I've used regular sheet metal screws. They work fine but do wear out after time. I keep a box of screws and a battery-powered screwdriver in my wading bag. The slot-head ones add extra grip! 

• Like 1

I know several speak poorly of the recent batch of Korkers on here, but I did notice that the soles were on 40% off at Wholesale today... they had one of their boots on for 40% off as well, but very limited sizing available in Lethbridge.  Rest of their boots are now 20% off (including Hodgmans I presume).

2 hours ago, ÜberFly said:

This is what I was saying with the Patagonia ones... They work well, but don't last long (I got a bit longer life from the Simms - but still not worth the $ in my opinion). The other issue is the hole that they make - you will end up losing anything else you might use in the future (KK or Simms) b/c they have a smaller diameter thread... So if you buy 100 pack, then you can swap out as they wear. Definitely better value buying from a Hardware store. Might get better life from KK or the MEC ones?

I missed that post!  Good to know the work pretty well.  I just installed the hex screws on my 5 year old Simms.  Out of curiosity, what length did you use on your boots?  I went with a 1/2" #8