Fly Fusion Forums

Want To Take Kids Fishing

A friend of mine wants to take his young grand children fishing. They have already made a couple of trips with no success. My question is, are there any places (ponds and such) where the chances of catching a fish is pretty good. Don't care if it's trout or pike as long as it swims and has fins.

If you are only looking to catch fish, I would recommend bringing the kids to the trout pond outside of the Sam Livingston fish hatchery in Calgary. It gets crowded in the later morning and afternoon, but if you go early enough there shouldn't be too many kids. Your chances of seeing nice healthy 9-16" rainbows are 100% and catching is not too bad either. There are also some small brookie creeks just outside of Calgary that would be ok right now (DM if you're interested in those).

• Like 1

I've taken my own Grand Daughters there a few times over the last couple of years with similar results as threepwood. We could see lots of fish but I have yet to see any being caught. Great acidity but it sees a ton of pressure.

How about any place to catch pike? Would have to be casting from shore though.

Took my girls to a cutty stream this summer, throwing spinners, streamers and SJWS with weighted bobber from a spin rod. Managed a few small ones each. Requires some walking/wading but they had fun. Also heard Pine Coulee Rez is a great place for kids to catch from the dock.

• Like 1

Don't mean to high jack the thread, but I'm kinda curious myself. My little one is 5 years old and he doesn't stop asking me to take him out. Had him to the trout hatchery pond, managed to land a couple there. Had him out for a float down the bow and walk and wade on the sheep and elbow. He's still pretty stoked about it, even though he's only caught a couple and seen ones me or his grandfather have caught. So if anyone doesn't mind given any pointers feel free to pm or keep this thread going!

• Like 1